Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flipz96 View Post
    I'm going to build a platform/storage on the starboard side of the engine box. The platform will extend under the helm seat and aft of the helm seat will have a hinged hatch to access the stored trolling motor. It should be about the same height at the coaming step.
    Like this?

I built that to put my wake board pylon under so people don't have to worry about stepping on it when getting in the boat from the dock. The front is open so the pylon slides up under the driver seat and helm. It works great as I can put my "lake bag" under it to get it out of the way. Also, one of the benefits of it was helping people get into the boat. There is a now a nice step instead of having to drop all the way to the floor.
    86 Saltare

Default Behind Helm seat storage

Quote Originally Posted by jasun View Post
    Like this?

I built that to put my wake board pylon under so people don't have to worry about stepping on it when getting in the boat from the dock. The front is open so the pylon slides up under the driver seat and helm. It works great as I can put my "lake bag" under it to get it out of the way. Also, one of the benefits of it was helping people get into the boat. There is a now a nice step instead of having to drop all the way to the floor.
    That is it! That is pretty crazy! That was the vision that I had for it and functions exactly the same! Thanks for the pictures! Now since you already have one, is there anything that you would change on it?

Marvin, the boat looks sick! Give me the rundown on your tablet setup for the dash. What tablet, what programs/apps are you running and using it for? Any diagnostics, or just MPH? Very similar to what I want to do this winter.

Also what brand is your mirror, and what size? I have been looking for a new mirror but I can only find "stock" photos...I want to see the real thing on a boat. Yours is exactly what I am looking for!

That is it! That is pretty crazy! That was the vision that I had for it and functions exactly the same! Thanks for the pictures! Now since you already have one, is there anything that you would change on it?
    I would have given myself more tolerance for the carpet. I didn't think the stack up on it would be that much but made everything a much tighter fit (too tight in some areas). I did not mount it to the floor. it stays in place just fine. Built it out of 2x2's and 3/4" marine ply on both steps and 1/2 ply on the faces. I did not face the starboard side of it nor the side the butts up against the back seat. I have some LED's on the inside also which have proven to be handy. I keep a plastic tool box in the boat that just so happens (and I didn't plan it this way) to tuck nicely right under the short step on the inside. So you might be able to design it to function with something you already have too. Other then that, I have been very happy with how it turned out. I am planning on putting a gas strut on it to keep it open and keep it from over extending. Good luck! should be a piece of cake!
    86 Saltare

Hahaha cracking up at your myspace hat

Default Tablet GPS and mirror

Quote Originally Posted by lmnelson86 View Post
    Marvin, the boat looks sick! Give me the rundown on your tablet setup for the dash. What tablet, what programs/apps are you running and using it for? Any diagnostics, or just MPH? Very similar to what I want to do this winter.

Also what brand is your mirror, and what size? I have been looking for a new mirror but I can only find "stock" photos...I want to see the real thing on a boat. Yours is exactly what I am looking for!
    Thanks Luke! Because my pitot speedometer starts at 15 mph, it really is not useful for surfing. I am strictly using it for speed right now. I am eventually going to integrate it with a transom mount sonar for depth. It actually more expensive to take that route than it is to just get a Hawk Eye standalone depth finder for $100 but that is the cost for aesthetics. The app I'm using is GPS HUD Speedometer. I like that that app goes to 1/100. Most of them round to nearest whole. I am not using data or wireless. In order to use it without those, I chose to use GNS 2000 which allows you to send and receive GPS/GLONASS data. I'm not sure if its taking advantage of GLONASS or not. Depending on if you are using and Android or iOS, there may be an additional app you have to download to allow it to use the external GPS. There are others on the market as well, but from my research, it seemed to be the one I needed to get. I haven't decided if I'm going to do away with the analog speedometers yet and integrate into the dash. For now, it works and looks just fine.

As far as the mirror, I bought it from Marine Surplus in Sarasota. It didn't come with the mounting bracket, but it fit on my previous mirror mounting bracket. I'll stop by there tomorrow to see if they have anymore and measure the size. I'm sure you can fabricate a bracket to work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lmnelson86 View Post
    Hahaha cracking up at your myspace hat
    Its vintage! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jasun View Post
    I would have given myself more tolerance for the carpet. I didn't think the stack up on it would be that much but made everything a much tighter fit (too tight in some areas). I did not mount it to the floor. it stays in place just fine. Built it out of 2x2's and 3/4" marine ply on both steps and 1/2 ply on the faces. I did not face the starboard side of it nor the side the butts up against the back seat. I have some LED's on the inside also which have proven to be handy. I keep a plastic tool box in the boat that just so happens (and I didn't plan it this way) to tuck nicely right under the short step on the inside. So you might be able to design it to function with something you already have too. Other then that, I have been very happy with how it turned out. I am planning on putting a gas strut on it to keep it open and keep it from over extending. Good luck! should be a piece of cake!
    I appreciate that Jasun! Did you build over the coaming step? Or did you not have one? I like that you have different levels which you use for a step. I didn't think about that until I saw yours.

I appreciate that Jasun! Did you build over the coaming step? Or did you not have one? I like that you have different levels which you use for a step. I didn't think about that until I saw yours.
    I did not have a coaming step but there was a piece of trim (just carpeted 3/4" ply) that I just removed. Gave it a lot more room under it. I was going to have it slope down from the hinged lid to make it the same level as the seat base so that anyone sitting there didn't feel confined, but my geometry skills have long since left me. Was much easier just to do a Step down (which I think turned out better then a slope would have). I wanted the storage to be the same height as the seat base. I tried to make the main section as tall as I could because like someone else said, that side is just wasted space behind the driver seat. I have another trim piece on the side that limited the height. Otherwise I would have made it just tall enough so that my cooler could fit under there as well.

I was worried at one point because I wasn't sure I had enough angle for the pylon to fit in and slide forward so the back of the pole would fit. I clear it by about 2" though. I added just a 45* block to keep the pylon from rolling around.
    86 Saltare