Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Transmission problem in 2006 24 ssv. Anyone pulled one before?

Ok. So a couple of weeks ago we spent a wonderful week in Northern Georgia doing a lot of surfing. The very last day we started to hear a funny noise coming from the engine. First thing I did was check the oil. If was a quart or so low. I knew the oil pressure had never been consistant so I really did think it was the problem. But we immeadiately added oil and no change in the sound. So we headed in. It was pretty much time to pack up and head home anyways. But running to the ramp it ran great. Plenty of power. Just a weird sound.

So when I arrived home I started it up to see if I could pinpoint the problem. Sounded like it was coming from the rear of the engine around the bell housing area. My truck mechanic said it sounded like the starter bendix was hanging up to him. So I pulled the starter and checked it out. Well there was a chunk of metal laying in the area where the bendix pops out in. But it wasn't from the starter. The starter itself looked fine. From what i could see the flywheel looked fine. I changed the oil and added about a half quart of trans fluid to trans. Started it up and still that noise.

So today I took it out to get a couple sets in. Not sure how much longer the weather is going to hold out. I wakeboarded a set no problems. Then my friend started his set with his AirChair. First run went fine. Then when he went to get up the second time. I hit the throttle and it started to go but then something let go and we were dead in the water. Engine still ran fine. Basically felt like the prop fell off.

I check the shifter and it was moving everything as it should. Nothing visable was wrong. So we had to get towed to the dock and which the big girl on the trailer. Which is no easy task.

My guess is the bolts that attach the transmission to the engine flywheel and started to back out or one or more had broken and then the rest let go when I hit the gas. The transmission has never slipped or acted like it was failing.

I need to know is it possible to pull the transmission with out removing the engine? Assuming the Vdrive will have to come out with the transmission. Looks like I have to remove a lot of interior components to be able to get to everything. I pulled a lot of stuff out of the boat today and put it in the basement. I am guessing this isn't going to be a real quick fix. Would like to be able to get it back together in case we get some more warm weather, but I am doubting I get her done quickly.

Anyone else had any problems like this? Anyone pulled their own transmission on a v drive? I am sure their are plenty out there that have done so. Should I have the transmission rebuilt while it is out?

I plan on trying to get the interior out of the way and the floor up tomorrow so I can see what is going on a little better. Also going to remove the starter and see if there is more metal there.

Also I was reaching around under the trans feeling the prop shaft and noticed there is something on the shaft with a hose running to it? And there were several loose hose clamps on the shaft also. Not sure what they were doing. Hoping I can see better under there after the floor panel is up right by the motor.

Let me hear your ideas and suggestions.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Sounds like the flex plate cracked. It's happened to several owners on the forum. The tranny does have to come out to replace it.

Did the noise start as a clicking sound that changed with speed? If so could be the drive plate. Just have to slide the trans and v-drive back to replace.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Gogger
    Yes the trans can be removed and leave the engine behind. In the instance of my 04 Launch, I attached a strap around the rear pylon and to the lifting points on the rear of the engine for support. I pulled the v drive then disconnected the trans mounts at the side of the trans. I left the flexible feet and adjustments alone so as to get an easier re-alignment once it all went back together. If you have trouble pulling the trans, it will be the center spline of the trans and the flex corroded together. There is also a plate with two bolts underneath that is the flex/bell housing cover. This needs to come off as it will foul on the flex plate. Also when its apart, if you choose not to re-build the transmission, change the front pump seal as its a $6 part, 6 bolts and some loctite. Good luck and dont forget there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum.
    Regards Carl from downunder

Started the process. Pulled the seat frames and the part of the floor over the v drive. Admired all the rust from the fresh (brackish) water it was ran in before I bought it. I am going to replace every hose clamp that I never seen before. Looks like a big project. But I am going to give it a try.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Started the process. Pulled the seat frames and the part of the floor over the v drive. Admired all the rust from the fresh (brackish) water it was ran in before I bought it. I am going to replace every hose clamp that I never seen before. Looks like a big project. But I am going to give it a try.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

i dont believe you ... take pictures we wanna see the project !
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by gogger View Post
    Good luck and keep everyone posted on what you are finding.

Mark

I am assuming I can seperate the V-drive from the trans. That should make it a little easier. Looks heavy all together. Raining here tonight so I will probably take the v-drive off tomorrow evening and get some of the stuff out of the way so I can get the trans off.

Just curious if anyone knows what the hose from the exhaust manifold that runs to something on the prop shaft? Is that part of the prop shaft packing?
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

A classic: “ . . . . . relax. Alright. My old man is a television repair man. He’s got this ultimate set of tools. I CAN FIX IT . . . .”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN_Nod65e7o