Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

at the end of the season I pulled the polugs in the water jacket did the fuel stabil and sprayed the fogger down the carb. IO used it in a winter parade thanksgiving. Then after that I pulled the plugs out of the exhaust, disconnected the water neck and hit it with a shop vac.

The diesel went into the crank case after the Saturday trip where the mayonnaise consistency mixture of oil/water was pumped out of the breathers. I drained the crank case of water and didn't have time to tear it down then. So was told to do that instead of using cheap oil to try to save what was left from rust.

I got the motor out last night pulled all the accessories one valve cover and the intake.
    Intake gasket was fine, lifter valley has no cracks, and everything that is visible currently looks ok.

Casting numbers are,
    Block 14015445 - 1975-87 454 truck

Heads 6272990 - 1971-94 454 2.19IN 1.88EX Open 118CC

According to some websites they say with that head it should be a 425 hp???
    1987 pirata with a 454

Got pics!!!
    Side #1

Side#2

1987 pirata with a 454

Old crack from previous owner??

My assistant.
    1987 pirata with a 454

Cowboy
    It looks like you have a good mechanic on the job.
    Sorry about your engine. I live near Chicago when I winterize
    I drain then put 50/50 antifreeze into the hose going into the thermostat
    until it starts coming out the exhaust. Knock on fiberglass never had a
    problem.
    Thanks for posting this problem its a good reminder for all to remember
    what happens to engines with water in them.
    Good Luck with your repair.

Has anyone ever tried using RV Antifreeze to winterize the engine? I used regular Ethylene Glycol this year but now I have to dispose of it or save it for next year. Sure seems like it would be neat to suck Rv antifreeze into the motor and shut it down when it starts coming out the exhaust - then in the spring just start it and let the RV antifreeze blow out the exhuast since it's bio-degradeable!

Around here, if you put any kind of anti-freeze in, it is supposed to be RV antifreeze,
    the other stuff kills fish.

I put RV antifreeze in my heater line - but not the entire engine.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

I pull out the thermostat and then suck 6-gallons of RV antifreeze in through the water pump -- it comes out the exhaust a little before this but I figure it comes in a box of 6, why not use all of them. In the spring, all I have to do is put a new thermostat in (cheap insurance) and start it up -- no muss, no fuss.

After doing some checking, looks like the motor they put in and say to only spin to 4200 rpm has heads(square port) that are more designed to turn 7k+. I've had a few engine shops actually refering me to switch to oval port truck heads as it would improve bottom end where I normally run.

So asking for opinions and maybe some support from supra techs as to why there is a motor installed that is set up for high rev for a low rpm application let alone the 650cfm carb put on it.

If i go to a small port head I can save a good cunk and just buy a junkyard motor and toss it in.

I don't want to loose performance but also don't want to spend un-needed money.
    1987 pirata with a 454