Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

That looks awesome!
    So I'm riding my Sunsport out this Summer, but looking to do a cap off next year.
    How do you get the exact placement of the engine when you remove EVERYTHing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All, I know this is a very old thread but I have finally been able to get the stringers and floor boards replaced and have new leather going in now. I will be putting the engine back in the boat on Friday. I have a few questions about the engine/engine parts. I hope that posting in this old thread is ok.

1. Does anyone have any detailed pictures of the engine in this model boat? I received the boat after all the hoses/wires had been disconnected. I am specifically looking for the hoses going from to the transmission cooler, to and from the water pump (with the impeller).
    2. When I put the motor back in the boat how can I tell how far back to put it? I assume just matching it where the exhaust hoses from the engine that meet the stainless exhaust tubes will work?
    3. I need to replace the transmission cooler, where can I find this part?
    4. I need to replace the external fuel filter/housing, where can I find the parts?
    5. When I attach the throttle cable what position should the transmission shaft be in when the shifter in the straight up neutral position?
    6. Is anyone aware of a how-to video in regards to the steering cable connecting to the steering wheel for this or similar models?
    Last edited by codemonkey82; 05-28-2024 at 04:50 PM.

Codemonkey82:

Here are some HD shots of my 1990 PCM 351W. (thanks to Mischief IV for the technology) They will not answer all of your questions, but they will help. You might take a look at the "Contest" thread where I detail 40 upgrades to a 1990 Supra. Many are optional but some I think a requirement, such as the stainless steel exhaust hull tips.

MySupra

Thank you MySupra!
    1. Can you get me a shot of the wiring under the 'PCM PowerPlus' Fuse cover? There are a couple of wires running in under the cover I am trying to sort of the location of.
    2. Is it a 5" or 9" transmission oil cooler? I found them here: https://www.myinboardmarine.com/sear...&type=product# but am unsure of the size. My original measures over 5" and under 9".
    3. Where to the water hoses run to/from the top and bottom of the transmission oil cooler?
    4. It looks like you have a green handle valve. What is that for?
    Last edited by codemonkey82; 05-29-2024 at 07:52 AM.

2. When I put the motor back in the boat how can I tell how far back to put it? I assume just matching it where the exhaust hoses from the engine that meet the stainless exhaust tubes will work?
    - The motor location is determined by the prop shaft location. I put the prop shaft back in the boat and then temporarily put the prop back on. Make sure you have about 1/2" between the prop and the prop strut. That will tell you where the trans and engine will need to be

3. I need to replace the transmission cooler, where can I find this part?
    - any 5" - 6" oil cooler will work

4. I need to replace the external fuel filter/housing, where can I find the parts?
    - Not sure you can find the parts anymore. I replaced mine with a newer Sierra Marine water separator/filter

5. When I attach the throttle cable what position should the transmission shaft be in when the shifter in the straight up neutral position?
    - The trans should be in neutral. If there is no indication on the trans, then it will be in the middle of the throw of the shift lever. You normally can feel a click into neutral as the neutral safety switch disengages.

6. Is anyone aware of a how-to video in regards to the steering cable connecting to the steering wheel for this or similar models?
    - If you have a rotary which you most likely have, you will just put the end in bottom hole and then turn the wheel until it pulls the cable to the helm. The bottom hole is for when the rudder tiller arm goes out to the port side and the top hole is for when the rudder tiller arm goes to starboard.

Codemonkey82:

I replaced the stock PCM transmission, likely the one you have, with the "newer" PCM 80A transmission. The stock transmission had a 5" transmission cooler; the 80A required a 9" cooler. I had to reposition the 9" cooler so it would fit, see the photos. Very important: make sure the hoses attaching to the cooler are secure (they run seawater) but be sure not to collapse the neck because it is a rather thin copper. As to the green valve, please see CONTEST, H20 Wins!! in General Chat, where I specify the size and source.

As you request, here are photos with cover off:

Thank you for the additional pictures MySupra. Where does the negative cable (from the battery) attach to the motor? I see the positive cable attaching to the starting solenoid along with another thick gauge wire (where does this other wire come from)? I apologize for all of the questions just trying to make sure I get all the wires back in the correct locations.

Does anyone know what this part is?IMG_7486.jpg

Does anyone know what this part is? It looks like it might have been glued down?IMG_7487.jpg

Update: I think I figured it out. I'm assuming it's the transducer for the depth finder.
    Last edited by codemonkey82; 05-29-2024 at 02:20 PM.

The main negative cable attaches somewhere on the engine. I have mine attached to the back of the starboard side cylinder head.

Not sure on the 1st part, the forum really shrinks down the pics.
    Second pic does look to be a transducer, like you are thinking.