Default Some rudder problems

Ok.... I've checked out all the threads on leaking rudders and haven't found what I'm looking for so here goes. My 88 sunsport's rudder has quite a bit of vertical play. I can see the bottom seal on the rudder shaft. Not sure if it's leaking there. I'll know just as soon as I replace the flax in the stuffing box. (that's a big leak) I'm pretty sure it is leaking though. any suggestions on what I should do?? Can I access all that by taking out the 4 screws around the rudder on the bottom of the boat?? I can take pictures tomorrow in the light if anyone needs them. thanks.

Do not remove the 4 screws.
    Does this help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pic. I guess I won't be pulling those. haha. so to fix the problem, do i just change the seals and then pinch the steering unit lower on the rudder??

Before yo get to deep into the seals, have you greased the rudder?
    When rebuilding mine I found the seal had slipped out of its groove. I reinstalled in the correct place, greased her up and she does not leak.

I am not sure about vertical movement. Skidim will answer your question.

Sorry I did not take a pic of the rudder
    Attached Images Attached Images

whats the easiest way to get to the rudder? Do you have to remove the backseat?

Backseat comes out and then you get to work under the gas tank.....
    If your seats or original, I'd be careful with the rope locker lid, might want to unscrew it from the rearbench...
    90 Conbrio

Rick, I have the same problem with movement, and have looked for a grease zirk.....couldn't find one, Should I pull the cotter pin and go from there??? Seals are below the arm connected to the steering cable?
    90 Conbrio

mapleleaf
    Correct, seals are under the steering arm.

My seal was out of place due to too much grease being forced into the fitting. Also when too much pressure is used the grease gun nipple gets stuck on the zerk, which could cause it to get broken when the nipple is removed.
    If it is broken off, the remaining threaded part is easily removed with a "E Z Out"

Thanks, I've got a set of E Z out's, was under there today not much room with the gas tank in.....
    90 Conbrio

Maple and Bryan before you go removing your rudders, do like rickr says. The seals are just little o-rings with a grease seal, so unless you are adding some grease once or twice a year this MAY be an issue for you. The grease zerks are smaller than normal zerks. They are tiny little nipple-looking things hehe. Real close to the rudder. You would need a small size grease gun-tube from auto store. Some zerks may be clogged too, you can screw it right out and put a new one in also from auto store. There should be two or three zerks.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey