Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I was thinking the same thing with the pieces of rubber. But, i ran it for about 39/40 hours with no overheating, so that's why I thought it was weird that the issue would just come up now. I guess they could have flowed back down to the impellar housing out the the T-stat, but I have yet to come up witha feasible explanation. There were a lot too, more than enough to clog the flow of the water through the impellar housing. Hopefully cleaning them out and putting a new impellar in will solve the problem. I'll take some pics the next time i have the cover off install the new impellar and to check the thermostat housing for more pieces.

As for the tower, what have guys gone with. I've basically heard the New-Dimension OEM style are the best, but they are pricey. I've also heard good things about Monster Tower, and they're prices are much better. Anyone know if you can make a monster full remove-able by going with their quick disconnects on all four legs. I'd like the ability to revert to the old school look if I'm just going cruising and don't need the high pull point, board-racks, and speaker set up for the day.

I have a 1987 Sunsport Skier w/ a 454 in it. I am curious about just having a raw water intake. Mounted on the back top of my motor is a tank that holds some coolant. Do you have this simular tank (mine is grey) or does anyone else have this tank?

my set-up is straight from the intake to the impellar housing, up to the T-stat and into the manifolds. I don't have a tank of any kind, at least from what I know.

Huh....... Know I am really curious.

remove the output hose from the pump and heat exchanger, clean all routes for cooling, also, remove end caps from heat exchanger, clean all coolant passages. Allan

Pull your risers and see if they are clogged with rust.
    Use Freeze Off on the bolts and get new gaskets and bolts. While you are at it I would pull the manifolds too and replace the gaskets. Don't forget anti-sieze.

See post #48 https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...=freeze&page=5
    Last edited by rickr; 08-07-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 87sunsport454 View Post
    I have a 1987 Sunsport Skier w/ a 454 in it. I am curious about just having a raw water intake. Mounted on the back top of my motor is a tank that holds some coolant. Do you have this simular tank (mine is grey) or does anyone else have this tank?
    Is this a closed loop cooling system? Is there a radiator or heat exchanger somewhere? Sounds like your boat may have a closed loop saltwater system. Pics? Sounds cool!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Wotan454, this is a closed loop cooling system. For closed loop marine applications the engine is typically cooled by anti-freeze/H2O mix much like your car or truck. Only big difference is that the anti-freeze runs through a heat exchanger (mounted near the engine or on the boats keel) to transfer the heat to raw water (also running trough the heat exchanger), either fresh or salt water it doesn’t matter. On your car the heat exchanger is the radiator and it transfer’s the heat to the ambient air through the cooling fins/conduit/veins.
    bam3352, take some pictures of your engine for us so we can see what you’re looking at.

Default read this for marine cooling info

Here’s a good article to help explain things in more detail. http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/cooling.htm

I did a little bit of research on this system. What it does is the anti-freeze runs through the block and the exhaust manifolds. In the tank that I am talking about, the fresh water comes in and cools the anti-freeze and also runs through the exhaust manifolds. What I am told this is for is if you run in salt water it will not ruin your block as bad as if you didnt have this. I think because I live in Western Washington the original owner put this system on thinking he might want to use it in the salt water. It has never seen salt before, but just in case. I will try to get some pics.