Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Klewis
    Sounds to me the new prop and all the labor should be covered by warranty. If you can make a deal on the rebuilt prop I would. The bolts should not have come loose but with no nuts being found this one is SCs problem.

ngavchris- No it didnt destroy the rudder, luckily the prop blades are much thinner! You can tell where the rudder was hit, but it doesnt seem to have damaged it. Ill know tomorrow when I take it out, weather prevented that today.

michael hunter- ya missing nuts is a bit of an issue...we'll see what happens
    08 Launch 22SSV
    Orting, WA

Just a thought but I hope they put new bolts in and saved the ones that worked their way out. Due to the application the bolts are used for and the relatively low torque specs for them I'd guess that the assembly process requires that thread locking compound should be used on them. It's possible that whoever did the assembly overlooked it and that's why they worked themselves loose. If they did use it you should be able to see the red or blue remnants on the thread. If you've still got the bolts it could be a good piece of evidence if there is a dispute over whether or not it's a warranty claim or lack of proper maintenance.

I thought about that too, but did not find any remnants of thread lock on the bolts. They used nylock nuts when they put it back together so my assumption is that is how they do it from the factory. Which would do kind of the same thing. My dealer took some pictures of how everything was after it happened to send off to Supra.
    08 Launch 22SSV
    Orting, WA

Default Wow, De'ja' vu......

Unbelievable, I just went through the same experience, at Norris Lake, Tn., “THE CLUNK”, and no forward/reverse, same issue, BOLTS LOOSENED AND FELL OUT! I have to thank the Supra Dealership in Knoxville, 1-Hr. repair, and back on the water!!! I know the nylon nuts are the factory spec, on the driveshaft coupling bolts, and no “Locktite” was used. I will be taking the advice, checking the nut and bolt assembly after every outing.

This may be a dumb question but where is this located at so i can double check mine I have an 08 Supra 24'SSV

Pull your back seat cushion out, remove the small cooler that gives you access to the front of the engine comparment. This is where the transmission connects to the v-drive which in turn connects to the drive shaft Look from the right of the compartment(your right) and follow the driveshaft from where it comes through the hull back up where it dissapears under the v-drive. This is where the coupling is that you are looking for.
    08 Launch 22SSV
    Orting, WA

Old thread, same problem. Was out on the lake when I felt a clunk and thought the prop had fallen off. Swam underneath and found that the prop was still there, so I loaded up and went home. Further investigation revealed that the only bolt with a nut on it had finally sheared off, found the other 3 bolts in the bilge with no evidence there had ever been nuts on them. At least with mine, I was just beginning to accelerate when it gave out, so no prop damage. Right now I'm just trying to do some research to make sure it didn't mess up the shaft seal.

2009 Supra 24SSV GG
    2009 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games

I use loctite blue to help with this concern because I too have had all the nylock nuts loosen and fall out. I now check the coupling connection for lose hardware often.
    Ken
    2017 NXT22
    2009 24SSV

Quote Originally Posted by kennyk69 View Post
    I use loctite blue to help with this concern because I too have had all the nylock nuts loosen and fall out. I now check the coupling connection for lose hardware often.
    Not to mention the manual says to check the alignment annually...which evolves removing and re-installing the bolts/nuts. Nylocks are not supposed to be re-used.