Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Replying to Topic '87 Comp Resto Questions (long post)'

I changed my complete ignition system four years ago with an MSD distributor and a Crane hi6 ignition box. One of the best things I've done so far. Starts very easy and have not had any problems. Take a look at the new Edelbrock carbs. Easy to replace the old Holley with. As an added benifit will run much better.
    My interior Vinyl replacement was just over $2500.00 and I removed and reinstalled the seats myself and did all the carpet myself also. However I had a complicated pattern, multi-colors done on the seats etc.
    I started my interior from hell project two winters ago on an 89 Bravura. Same problems, soft floor in a few areas and a general feeling that more rot was in the hull that what I was seeing. I'll keep it short . Yep, lots of floor rot. I used a small hydraulic jack with wood blocks to lift the top of the boat at the windshield area, this raises the observers seat base, which is molded to the top, just enough to allow the use of a long wood chisel that I made from a piece of 1/8 in.x 2in. wide steel and 3ft.long to split the floor from the stringers.
    At the back of the boat I used wedges to lift the bottom of the seats(molded to the top of boat) and my trusty chisel/hammer combo to remove the floor from bow to stern. I was lucky that the engine mounting is sound.
    The foam was waterloged in some areas and was full of voids and mold. Most voids were in the corners of each bay. These voids were the places where floor rot was most prevelant. I removed all of the foam( very,very messy ) and pressure washed with clorox to kill any remaining mold ect.
    I cross drilled 1in. holes through each bay low enough to allow water to drain between them and 1in holes into the bilge at each bay.I sealed each hole as it passed with epoxy resin. I did not replace the foam. This might have been a sin. Will report back in a few years.
    I used 3/4in. marine plywood which I covered with two layers of fiberglass cloth and resin on the bottom and three on the top. After finishing with a belt sander , I attached the floor pieces with PL400 constuction adhesive to the stringers.(this stuff works excellent ).
    This easy winter project consumed about 200 hrs. of labor.However it takes me more time than average to get it done. My wife still hates me from this project. -------- Next ? We launch to the Moon!

Default Replying to Topic '87 Comp Resto Questions (long post)'

What about replacing the stringer that the motor and tranny are bolted too? All the stringers are perfect besides these. Do I have to take the motor completely out? Or could I just unbolt it and lift it a few inches? Also are those stringers just 6x6 pieces of wood?