Thread: oil help

Default oil help

Ok like I said before doing fluid changes and my oil cap says 15/40 which is a diesel oil is this correct or do you guys reccomend something else ?

I use white Rotella (yes, it can also be used in a diesel, -- but I use synthetic Rotella in my diesels).

I am assuming you have an Indmar engine?

From the Indmar.com FAQ page:

2.4 What type of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic oil?

Indmar recommends (and uses at our factory) Pennzoil Marine 15W40 Motor Oil. If Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil is not available in your area, we suggest using 20W40 or 20W50 oil meeting the API specification of SJ/CG4 or better.

Synthetic oil that meets our requirement of 15W40and API rating of SJ/CJ4 is acceptable to use after 100 hours or operation with the recommended (not synthetic) oil. The use of synthetic oil does not alter the requirement for oil changes at 50-hour intervals.

Older operator manuals, and other publications that are not regularly updated will not be revised to show this latest engine oil recommendation. Current operator manuals, and other service publications that receive regular updates will receive this revised recommendation the next time they are updated.

Good luck -- I am not a fan of Pennzoil, personally - but Indmar also says
    this oil is OK.

Todd
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

From my understanding the 15w 40 has a lot more cleaners in it in order to keep the diesel engine clean. I know a few motor heads that run it in everything because it is a better grade oil and keeps your engine cleaner.
    1988 Supra Mariah

i've always used shell rotella, never a prob and easy to find
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

thank guys I use the shell oil and everything ran great this weekend .

Yes, use the 15 W 40 oil. It is not just for deisels. I use over 200 gal. per year. Al