Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kodybyron View Post
    ya but how do i get a bolt and nut on that door? i mean one side you have the wood or some other kinda compressed wood looking material and on top you have the sun deck's vinyl?
    Kody,

First off I agree, not a great design... they should have done this with a bolt/locking nut combo before putting the vinly on the panels at the factory. Few options here...

1. One option to get a nut/bolt combo in there is to have an upholstry shop strip the skins and then bolt them up with a locking nut then have them restretched back on the piece. Probably $50 each I would guess. If mine starts to do this I will be doing this.

2. Jay also had an idea of using some type of glue/adhesive to stop the screws from coming out, this also might work. Give this a try, it would be a cheap alternative to taking it to the upholstry shop.

3. Could you relocate the bracket plate to a different area of the panel to allow new holes to be created?

4. Go with a larger screw? and apply the glue/adhesive when doing this? possibly use a PVC glue? that stuff seems to hold really well but is messy and probably permanent.

Just a few options... if I can think of anything else I will post it up.
    Last edited by Fman; 07-26-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

How are other boat manufacturer's mounting them onto there panels? Anyone have any idea or pictures?
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

I talked to mastercraft. They use aluminum backing plates.

i've had just about every screw possible come out of my boat because when they build supras they think that they can just screw into fiberglass or wood and it will hold. Lame is what i say. Just last week my swim platform came off because all the screws that hold both L brackets to the platform were gone. Lucky the thing floats. drilled through it and put flat head meatal bolts down through it. Bolted it to the brackets with nylock bolts and put a rubber coating on the heads. As for the compartment covers i think your refering to the three hole bracket that screws to the underside of the deck cover. the best solution is to get a toggle bolt with a butterfly backin. You'll have to drill a slightly bigger hole to push the butterfly part through but shouldn't be a problem because the metal plate should cover it. Once you start to screw that bolt in, the backing will grab the otherside and you'll never have a problem, plus you don't need to mess with vinyl and you can stop drilling new holes that are only going to rip loose. Did it to both my hatch covers last season and they hold up great. Tried other options first like bigger screws and they just rip loose because there is no support from the opposite side. This is your best option if you don't want to pull the cover apart set it with a plate and nylock bolts and restich your vinyl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wakejmpr; 07-26-2010 at 11:42 PM.

thanks for yalls input...ill try those butter fly bolts wakejmpr. ill let yall know how it goes...dang boats..always something!!!
    2002 Launch 22' SSV
    5.7 Indmar Assault

"wetter is better!"

Quote Originally Posted by wakejmpr View Post
    i've had just about every screw possible come out of my boat because when they build supras they think that they can just screw into fiberglass or wood and it will hold.
    Wood? I hope they did not put any wood in your newer Supra! I agree, aluminum backing plates would be a great idea for the self tapping screws. SC should start using this on the new boats.

The butterfly setup looks like a possibility, I would use caution about having that backside stick up to far and poke a foot or knee when putting pressure on the pad. Also, how is that bolt not going to come loose with the butterfly style? How does it lock in place?

Let us know how it goes, hope you have success with the butterfly setup.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Just a pic I could find of the style of bolt I was talking about. I would absolutely use a short bolt. Once you tighten the bolt down the butterfly back threads down and grabs the backside of the decking and allows you to tighten and secure those bolts. Worked like a champ on my 24 ssv. Two seasons strong now.

Default Bolts

Used slotted bolt 1/4 inch by 1.5 inch (way to long, use 1 inch or less with lock washer and 1/4 inch nut. Had to whittle out the holes just a little bit to get the bolt through, but it was cheap and worked like a charm. Mine already had the metal hinge (2008 model 24 SSV). Did some of yours not come with a metal hinge? Took about 10 minutes. Easy fix. Praise the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by jedwest View Post
    Used slotted bolt 1/4 inch by 1.5 inch (way to long, use 1 inch or less with lock washer and 1/4 inch nut. Had to whittle out the holes just a little bit to get the bolt through, but it was cheap and worked like a charm. Mine already had the metal hinge (2008 model 24 SSV). Did some of yours not come with a metal hinge? Took about 10 minutes. Easy fix. Praise the Lord.
    Do you have some pictures of this? I have an '08 22, are you taling about the metal hinges that is screwed to the locker door? or did they add a backing plate to later models?
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Default Screws in locker door

There is a metal hinge with five screws. One part screws into the locker door and the other into the fiberglass of the boat. The ones I replaced were the ones screwing into the fiberglass of the boat. Sorry no pics. Guess I could take some.

James