Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need SUV help

You can load a car on a trailer and control how much tongue weight you have. That's not possible with a boat. My boat seems like it's VERY tongue heavy. The last 1/2 ton truck I had made the rear-end sag 5".
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Most dovetails are tongue heavy, due to the axles being towards the rear for clearance issues.

I was just giving the OP an option that I had experience with. I tow my buddies 24v occasionally and it doesn't really feel like it's back there for the most part. My F150 doesn't sag hardly at all with his boat...it is a 06, 4x4, w/tow package.
    -1989 Supra Conbrio

We were just looking to for a smaller vehicle. My wife drives the tahoe for a daily driver and she is wanting something smaller. I have a car so I figured if I can find a smaller SUV that can still tow our boat will solve the problem where I dont have to go out and buy a truck and a suv. We dont tow the boat very often. We leave it at the lake during the summer and take it home at the end of the season to store in the garage. So I might have to pull it twice a year. Once to the lake and once home. I saw that some midsize suv's had up to 7000 lbs of towing. Like a land rover, BMW X5. I just do not want to have to try and buy 2 vehicles if I dont have to.

Little off topic...but I live right down the road from you sidetracked. I'm in Chelsea, AL.
    -1989 Supra Conbrio

Cool, which lake do you go to? We have a place at Smith. And your an Auburn fan. WDE!!!!!
    Last edited by sidetracked3; 09-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.

We go to Logan Martin because it is close...put in at Clear Creek and run down to Alpine Bay.

WDE!
    -1989 Supra Conbrio

Buy a little everyday driver for the wife and an older tow unit for the weekends. Look at for a older full size vehicle which can handle the weight. A older pickup would be great to take care of those honey do lists

Buy the smaller driver and ask 03bama to tow you to and from the lake for a fee.Or just rent a truck twice a year it will be much cheaper.

I'm with Jonyb on this one. When we used to tow our Jeeps to the trails there'd always be somebody using an inadequate tow rig and wondering why they couldnt get past 50mph.

The big concern isnt "can you get it up to speed". It's "can you make it stop safely". I've seen and heard enough horror stories. The last place you want to be when your trailer gets death wobble, is behind the wheel.

As the saying goes - use the right tool for the job.

I was lucky & survived my youth and ignorance - in spite of:
    a. 4000 lb tri-hull with a Delta 88 - trailer took control & swayed over 2 lanes and both shoulders.
    b. Same boat with a Trans Am 4spd manual - either burnt the clutch or smoked the tires leaving every light in the hills of Austin and eventually cracked a subframe weld.
    c. Backhoe with a Blazer - white knuckled, laying on the horn through the first red light since I couldn't stop.

Like Mani said, it's about control - heck, a Yugo will pull a 24 SSV going downhill but that doesn't make it a good tow vehicle. Age changes perspective a bit I guess, so be careful - me, my wife, and kids are on the road too.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____