Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need SUV help

The TBSS shares the same rotors as the GM half tons, but with Z51 pads. Braking insnt an issue.
    -1989 Supra Conbrio

Yes, it is an issue. When the vehicle you're towing weighs as much or more than the vehicle you're towing it with, accompanied by short wheelbase, it makes no difference what brakes you're using. The vehicle and trailer swaying side to side (aka death wobble) can set in, and the only way to escape that is to speed up. Speeding up, when you're trying to break, is not exactly an option.

I'm not trying to an ass, just trying to keep it safe out there, for you, me, and everyone else. I've seen a Wrangler TJ pull 7000 lbs. for a 320 mile round trip without incident. That does not make it a wise choice.

Doesn't the 22' trailers come with trailer brakes as well?

And a TBSS has almost 1k pounds on his 22v. For what he is going to be doing, towing the boat twice a year, it will be fine. Not everyone needs a full size or diesel, or has room for a beater truck.

I was just going from experience on a 22' dovetail trailer with a 3k lb car. TBSS would be my only consideration for midsize though. They are great all around vehicles.
    -1989 Supra Conbrio

Best midsized SUV for towing would hands down be the Jeep GC Diesel. But you have to find a used 2010 or earlier. Jeep discontinued the Mercedes sourced diesel in 2011 models.

In my opinion, you'd be fine with a midsized SUV to tow, as long as you're not exceeding the tow rating. Electric brakes are best but you don't have that option with boat trailers so make sure your surge brakes are working and adjusted.

If you're only going to tow once in a while, I agree with Micheal. Get what you want for a daily driver and rent something adequate to tow the boat the few times each year you need it. Either that or go buy an old beater truck that runs and tows well for those few times a year.

Just picked up an '02 Sequoia for the wife, seems to tow my wee little Conbrio just fine......Still would like something bigger than the 4.7 l, but that's also in my truck.....
    Hers came with airbags in the rear coils, pretty cool deal, zero saggy bottom syndrome....
    90 Conbrio

I tow my Comp as well as my car trailer with a 3500 lb. mustang on it with my 2008 Trailblazer SS and it pulls both of them absolutely flawlessly. (Side note: neither one of my trailers have brakes)

The best feature about the SS is the air ride suspension. When you hook your boat up to it and lock the tongue, the bags automatically fill to level it to handle the extra weight.

Contrary to what everyone on here will tell you, you do not need a quad cab dually with a diesal to tow a 22 foot boat. Its just plain overkill. Not to mention the fact that its not practical for a daily driver one bit. (Unless you are very wealthy which I am not)

Nobody said you need a quad cab diesel. You need common sense, and a vehicle that's bigger than the load.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Watch out overloading the air ride systems...... Had a Navigator with the air ride system, nothing but issues after a long haul with a trailer on the back. Lost the pump followed by a bag!!!!

I think it comes down to common sense and driving accordingly with a tow vehicle of choice!!!!

I went from towing my SunSport with a 4runner to a Dodge Cummins Diesel. What a difference, I feel like a have total control now where I was SH!TTIN my pants with the 4runner. I drive my diesel every day to work or wherever I need to go. It gets better gas milage than the 4runner with and without a load. In fact I gets better gas milage towing than I did daily driving with the runner. Once you go Diesel you never go back! Just my 2 cents.

Oh and no airbags needed.....
    1989 Supra SunSport | ACME 480 Prop. | 13th Floor Tower