Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Not to rub salt in the wounds, but how the heck did that happen?

As for the rudder, the cable probably just slipped in the block when the rudder hit the sand and was forced into whatever position. Adjust the cable/block as others have mentioned and you should be fine. Make sure it's all tight, nothing is slipping and the cable is moving through the full range of turning the wheel.

This was a combination of letting my friend drive back right at dawn at full speed and having the lake levels at 18ft below normal. A ton of underwater islands were popping up that would normally not even be an issue. Luckily, he managed to cut the boat off before we hit which is why I think nothing too serious happened. The propeller had stopped moving and didn't mess up the tranny.

Thanks for your help everyone. I was able to get the rudder turning the same amount in both directions now.

Now for my next problem...
    I finally put the boat in the water and took it out for a test spin and noticed a little bit of vibration (I didn't notice this before I put it up).

It's not too bad, but you can feel the vibration through the floor. Would this be caused by a misalignment of the engine or a bent prop shaft? (or both?) And how would I be able to tell if it is a misalignment?

Since my boat was ran aground last year, I think it has to be one of these two?

I wouldn't think you would feel vibration from misalignment, it would just wear things wrong. I'd lean more towards a bent shaft.

I thought so. I guess I'll have to get that straightened out.

Just curious...if I drive with the bent shaft what would be the damage?

Also...any suggestion of what kinds of places would be able to straighten it out?
    Last edited by duckseatfree; 04-18-2011 at 11:38 AM.

It would be hard on the transmission and possibly the strut.

I would start by taking the prop off and taking it to a prop shop. The place we use will straighten and balance (and polish) for less than $100. Being that the prop is most likely what hit the ground it is most likelly to bend. (Brass will bend before the hardened steel shaft) We have had 2 occasions where logs were hit and the prop was bent. Immedietly there is vibration throughout the whole boat. Both instances were fixed w/ the balance. Good luck!

Thanks smoothfootn...that's better news than it possibly being the shaft! I'll take it off and take it somewhere around here.

I definitely agree on having the prop checked first. For some reason I was thinking you already did that.

Thanks guys! I guess I'll have to find a place that would be able to do that around here