Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You need to warm the oil up, and should still use an extractor to coax it out. Otherwise, put it in a catch container (make sure it's large enough) and leave it overnight.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Do the extractors you guys are using have a threaded end to fit onto the drain tube threads?
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

The extractor has a small tube that fits into the ID of the drain hose. It worked good, but just took a while too. The rest of the winterizing was a piece of cake.

The pump I use has a 1/2" id flexible hose. The hose will slip over the drain hose on all PCM or Indmar engines. On Mercruiser and Volvo you can suck up through the dipstick. I use an old spark plug boot which will slip into the sucksion hose and the other end will fit over the dip stick tube. Some pumps have a 1/4" od tube which you can push down the dipstick area, but this is very slow and can be caught on windage plates in the oil pan. Just ask the OP. Oh, my sucsion hose is just the right size to fit into the transmission plug, sucks tranny oil extremely fast. Al

On an Indmar engine, can't you suck through the dipstick as well as use the drain hose?
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

don't do it thru the dipstick tube..... the plastic tube will get hung up on the end of the internal tube if you stick it in too far due to bending as it hits the floor of the pan then that bend getting cut and hung up on the end of the dipstick tube....or worse something else inside the engine as 01 supra has. My extractor has rubber ends on it that will push on around the quick drain tube. Oh and you will never get as much out thru the dipstick as you will from the drain tube. The extractor takes 2 minutes to get 5 litres of oil out...worth the $60 and you can do your tranny and v drive now
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Thanks Doc, sounds like the way to go. I'll have to get one for next year. Any particular brand?? I see that overtons carries them. Would the one they carry be ok??
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

Indmar and PCM as well as some Mercruisers, offer a drain hose, This is the best place to remove the oil. On some Volvo, and OMC, the dipstick tube is connected to the drain pan plug, which will also get 99% out. Just note the new Vortec chevy blocks have a crankshaft windage tray, this will entangle a sucksion hose if not carefull. Do not stick any type of sucsion hose down the dipstick. Use the drain hose, it is much faster anyway. Al

Okay, so I think a 2" piece fell off in the pan. I researched the oi; pump and it has a large screen to keep everything from going in. SHould be okay right??? any techs out there?