Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here is an attempt to illustrate what I think I want. The first is the Comp side view with a scaled down wave and a simplified stripe in a medium gray. The "B" variation has a solid wave.

The C version has an even smaller solid wave.

I am begining to think I prefer the C version.

Whadyall think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rludtke; 07-17-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Replaced original attachment with new.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackntan90 View Post
    Let me see if I can find a decent pic of the stripe I put on mine to give you an idea- but I agree that it may 'hide' a little too much for your color scheme..In this shot you can see how it changes with light&angles of how it is veiwed- it also makes the overlay 'skull' stripe I put on disappear.
    I think I see several stripes, can you point me to the stripe you are referring too?

Is the Supra script a metalflake? That looks cool.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M

So I wet sanded both sides of the boat with 600 grit, then again with 1000 grit. Then I rubbed/buffed with a polish, and then with a glaze.

Now, a week later, I can see the oxidation return. It isn't as bad as before, but quite obvious. My hunch is that I didn't sand it all away. This is frustrating.

Perhaps I should have started sanded with 200 paper? it looks like I will have to start over. I don't have time to re-do before I leave with the boat on my camping trip this weekend, it will have to wait until I return the following week.

I would appreciate any advice on what to do next.
    Last edited by rludtke; 07-18-2011 at 12:33 AM.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M

I think I went on the Mquires website- lots of info about what products to use. I would look at what I got for my oxyjob- but I am 3000miles away! I know that they number everything, depending on how bad the oxidation is. And yes, that is metalflake in the Supra decal- I saw it at my dealer- I think he just gave them to me...the stripe I am talking about looks almost silver in the pic because of the flash from the camera- but any light source will make it change from black to kinda silver because of the reflective properties of the stripe.

Default Silly Me

Quote Originally Posted by rludtke View Post
    So I wet sanded both sides of the boat with 600 grit, then again with 1000 grit. Then I rubbed/buffed with a polish, and then with a glaze.

Now, a week later, I can see the oxidation return. It isn't as bad as before, but quite obvious. My hunch is that I didn't sand it all away. This is frustrating.

Perhaps I should have started sanded with 200 paper? it looks like I will have to start over. I don't have time to re-do before I leave with the boat on my camping trip this weekend, it will have to wait until I return the following week.

I would appreciate any advice on what to do next.
    It turns out the oxidation I thought I was seeing was actually a build up of the glaze or polish on the boat - maybe both. I had rubbed the finish to what looked like a mirror polish, but days later a haze appeared all over the boat that looked a lot like the original oxidation. What a pain! I rebuffed both sides tonight to get the luster to return again. I don't know what to expect tomarrow, maybe the haze will return. I clearly don't have the patience for this kind of detail work. I may need to hire this out to someone who knows what they are doing...
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M

That's really strange that the finish is "gassing out." What did you use for wax?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Yeah I was going to say you probably need to finish it with a wax to prevent the water from messing with the other compounds you used

Thats interesting. I used the Maquires glaze thinking it was equivelant to wax. I did not wax... ...yet.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M

I think this is the problem. Maguires glaze is intended to be used on car paint (which has a clear coat over it.) You used it on fiberglass which has a gel-coat on it.

I'd give it a thorough washing with dawn and then hit it with some 3m cleaner wax and hope it seals it up. Good luck!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.