Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I like to finance stuff like this and pay them off in about a year... money to complete repairs isn't an issue. As you said, I don't plan on fixing a lot of the little issues - but I do think it will make a great first boat that I won't feel horrible about slightly abusing.

I'm headed to the lake for a water test with it in a bit...

Thanks again for the input.

Ok... lake test went well. May need a new steering cable in the next year or two, but other than that she was great. Plenty of power through the rev range, no funny noises, no leaking fluids, no concerning water take-on. The seller accepted the offer of $6k, so I feel like I got a solid deal.

Should pick her up tomorrow, going to do the requisite "purple sticker removal," trailer overhaul, horn and bilge fix, impeller replacement, and other misc. maintenance tasks. Plan on spending a few hours on the water over the next few weekends practicing not slamming into docks or backing into swimmers.

Thanks again for the help. Anticipate more posts in the future from me regarding ballast, wraps, towers, etc.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by sirhc; 07-26-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling

congratulations!

Your next posts better involve pics.

Nothing like buying a supra and having the forums crash the next day!

The boat is great.

Did the basics: purple decal removal, hasty wet sand, wax, impeller swap, fixed the bilge, blower, and horn switches, new marine speakers and ipod setup, etc. The boat has (so far, knock on wood) been a good example of a great boat in need of a little love. Everything I've fixed so far has been best case, i.e. The rear railing was loose... put a half turn on the retaining bolt, tightened right up. Not stripped out, not warbled, etc.

Put about six hours on her last Sunday and had a blast. Mostly family oriented stuff, shuttling people to and from the camp spot, tubing, kneeboarding, etc. I got a cheap launchpad ballast setup with two 800 pound bags, plan on doing some wakesurfing next time we head out.

Winter plans call for the black vinyl wrap, ballast install, and maybe a tower... we'll see how much money the wife lets me spend.

Thanks again for all of the input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Few more pics, including a "before" showing the awesome purple stickers and the depth of the scratches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Screw the wrap and just save your pennies to get it painted.

Already bought the $115 of black Oracal vinyl - I think it will look good, and match the theme of the "cheap surf boat" as opposed to a $800+ paint job.

For $115...fair enough

looks great. if that boat does have composite stringers, you made the buy of the decade.