Default No Spark - Ignition Ballast Resistor Blew up

I've been fighting a few electrical issues for the past 2 weeks. 1st problem was we were hanging out at a cove and went to start up and nothing. No beeps and the dash was totally dead. After about an hour i finally decided to hit the master reset at the back of the engine. The boat fired right up and we took off. Then about half way to the dock I lost all power and the boat died, no beeps and the dash was dead again. So I hit the reset and we just idled back in.

Yesterday I pulled it off the trailer and it just seemed to be running very rough. I idled over to pick up some friends and it just died, it would crank but just seems like no spark. Opened the dog house and I noticed that my ignition ballast resistor had blown up and there was white dust everywhere. I went to Autozone and got the closest replacement resistor that I could find and still no spark.

I replaced my coil, spark plugs, and upgraded to the Mallory EI last year and it ran great until now.

Has anyone ever blown up a resistor like that? Any help on where to start would be great.

Thanks!!
    1989 Supra SunSport | ACME 480 Prop. | 13th Floor Tower

I'm pretty sure with an upgraded EI system you can bypass the resistor. I'd try that and see if the coil can get enough voltage to fire.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Yeah I remember reading about that so I tried it on the water but no luck. Do you think it's possible that I fried the new coil? or I'm thinking the EI burnt up somehow.

When I switched to an EI a Prestolite system. I had to switch the coil. The new system needed a coil with an internal
    resistor and then I needed to disconnect the old external resistor.

I think i traced the problem to the EI. I went ahead and bought the Pedtronix 1582 just because I want to get rid of the ballast resistor (just another point of failure.) I'll install it tonight along with a new coil with resistance and see what happens.