Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Scribe to fit.

oldman - what up ! so explain scibing method ? i seen some string methods where you measure off the string every foot from floor height to boat hull .... what did you do ?

Quote Originally Posted by bens250ex View Post
    okie did you put down a layer of glass before you laid the new stringer?
    No I didn't...just bedded them in the thickened epoxy.

On the stringer cuts, you get them close then scribe and trim away. Scribing is basically using a compass to follow the contour of the hull while the pencil part marks on the stringer. It helps you to figure out where and how you need to trim. I used a protractor on the hull to figure out the angles and used that to help me with trying to get the cuts right, as well.

OB- so this is what i got out of it ... do i screw (support stringers) with wood too (deck height) and take a long stick or rod with a pencil taped to it and run it down the hull to mark the stringers ? also how extreme was the main angle ? I'm buying 2x12x24' for main and 2x10x22' for the side stringer ... (Douglas) .... is there a way to use a string line and measure every ft from string to hull and (connect the dots LOL) on the wood ? Im just wondering that if i don't suspend the wood at deck height it will throw me off .. idk (you say compass , like the half moon ones ) ? thanks for answering all these stupid ?s

and how did you use the protractor ?

A compass like the one you draw circles with. A sharp point on one side a pencil on the other. Get with a carpenter or handyman and get a lesson!
    Don't forget the angle on the bottom of stringer for a nice fit. You can cut it close by other means to within a inch or so high. Then scribe it in for a nice fit.

HA HA oldman- im sitting here reading what i wrote and i start to remember 7th grade again .... its been too long since i have actually use either one of those .. that why i had to ask .. I build Elevators for a living and everything in my world is plumb bobs , levels , and welders ....

So on the protractor , how are you setting it in relation to mark the stringer ? And i never thought of using that for the angles ! it totally makes since though .. I think i might just screw the stringers at deck height and measure/ mark from there ... I am using 12" boards and the highest point is 10" so so it wont be that bad ..... I did a mock up of some CSM and 10oz wovin roving with poly over the weekend ,, WOW ! that stuff is tough , for one layer of each its gonna work great for my small repairs ,, I did wind up buying some 1708 from us composites , ( how many layers for tabing ? and how many to cap ? ) thanks for all the help guys !

HA HA oldman- im sitting here reading what i wrote and i start to remember 7th grade again .... its been too long since i have actually use either one of those .. that why i had to ask .. I build Elevators for a living and everything in my world is plumb bobs , levels , and welders ....

So on the protractor , how are you setting it in relation to mark the stringer ? And i never thought of using that for the angles ! it totally makes since though .. I think i might just screw the stringers at deck height and measure/ mark from there ... I am using 12" boards and the highest point is 10" so so it wont be that bad ..... I did a mock up of some CSM and 10oz wovin roving with poly over the weekend ,, WOW ! that stuff is tough , for one layer of each its gonna work great for my small repairs ,, I did wind up buying some 1708 from us composites , ( how many layers for tabing ? and how many to cap ? ) thanks for all the help guys !

lively what elevator company do you work for? im about to graduate from college (hence the reason i barely get to work on my boat) and an elevator company is going to be at a career fair today, thought about throwin them my resume.

Ben- my company is Oracle Elevators , they are based out of Miami, fl but they have offices all over the USA ... Just look at there web site .. It's a great trade to work I'n and it's fun , I'm on my 6th year and loving every minute

lively
    Don't think you have to cut the stringer perfect with one cut. You can cut a little at a time. Getting closer and closer to the proper height and fit. It's easier to scribe the closer you get and then you can even belt sand right to the finish line.