Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is there anyway to get to the exhaust leaks without ripping up the floor?

Default Finally....

For anyone that's curious....

I spoke with Vince at www.skidim.com, not sure why I waited to ask him. Vince used to own a '90 Comp and has a wealth of information about older Supra's. I strongly encourage supporting them, they have all the parts AND the answers.

Anyway, back to the explanation....

Supra used some sort of out-dated and no longer available silencer back in the day, it attached to the end of the exhaust pipe immediately before exiting thru the transom. Apparently, these are a common spot of failure and can leak.

Long story short, the floor has to come up to get to them.

I'm going to replace my riser gaskets and see how it looks after that. I suspect I'll be using my bilge pump and blower alot this season.

I just talked to Vince and ordered some misc parts. He is great and knows a ton about the Comp. Hightly recommended.

Kevin

I have the same problem. Water is coming from the exhaust on the rear of the drivers side. I just tracked it this past weekend. It isn't too bad now - so I don't plan to fix it for a while.

And to add to the secondary prop conversation. I put an ACME 3 blade on this weekend - 470. It is awesome. Highly recommended.

dba....

check your riser bolts, mine were lose and most of the water i saw was from there. the flow from the exhaust seems gone but my leak is not. my bilge still runs alot.

check the risers for any growth or obstructions, my were fine (never seen saltwater). so i put new gaskets on and tightened 'em down.

so, i'm still looking. i still think it's under the floor.

Default Stringer & Exhaust System

I have a 1984 Supra Comp. In the late 80's we found out that Supra had a defect in there stringer design and we sent our boat back in to have it all corrected.

Also on the exhaust mufflers in the back I replaced mine last year. I pulled the gas tank and found out that when they tightened the boot onto the exhaust muffler they cracked the fiberglass 3" port. Over time it wore out and began to leak.

I also had leaks around port assembly that exits through the hull of the boat. Took some marine sealant and applied it around hole cut in the stern and it corrected the problems.

When it comes to this Supra if you can have a problem I have had it. Don't get me wrong this boat has run great for many years and I still love it.

Hope this info helps.
    Traveller

Can anyone tell me how to get the to "riser bolts"? I have no idea what they are. Thanks for the info. Something new to learn about....and maybe get an easy fix.

OK - Just did some research and the risers are up front. My exhaust leak seems to be from the back. Way back from under the gas tank. There actually seems to be a small arch in the stringer on both sides of the boat. The water seems to come from there.

Thoughts?

Thanks