Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you have a pic of that sticker that would be very cool!
    1990 Comp TS6M
    Aerial Freeride Tower soon to come!

Quote Originally Posted by cole1 View Post
    If you have a pic of that sticker that would be very cool!

Just checked my boat. It says 6 persons or 835 lbs. 970 pounds persons and gear. If you want to PM your email address to me I can send you some full res pics if you want to print one out to keep with you.

I was recently hassled I had 8 people in my 87 Sunsport, which I thought was ok because it's the passenger limit. The cop then asked what the weight limit was...which I didn't know because my sticker has been removed. I didn't get a ticket, but after looking up the weight limit online, 1100 seems really low.

Has anyone had trouble for being under the passenger limit but over the weight limit? And is ballast not considered because it's water weight?

pm me your address, i think i have a new sticker i will look when i get home and will send it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    Sorry to thread jack here, but do you absolutely have to go by the seating capacity numbers? My capacity is 8 (sunsport). Can I have more than that if I have a bunch of kids onboard (4-7 year olds)?
    Depends on the cop. It's an either/or number, which ever you hit first. Let's say the capacity is 6, and 800lbs. Well if you bring 4 big 250lb boys out, you're at a 1000lbs. So your overweight. On the flip side, it's you (180lbs) and eight 8-yr olds (60lbs) you're at 660lbs, but there are 9 people in the boat. You're overloaded.

The number of people is based on the boats seating capacity in a safe environment, and the weight is put in so you don't overload the boat and sink it. Most water patrol only care about one thing. Seating capacity. While you may have a bunch of little ones in the boat, most cops wouldn't be thrilled to see a 6 person vessel with 9 people in it, especially little kids.

You have to think of the safety aspect, there's a lot going on in that little Comp. There isn't much room to move around in an emergency. Distractions and visibility can be hindered (open bows), etc etc etc.

Of any time I've had a problem with it, it was around the number of people in the boat, not weight. General rule around here, don't go over it. TWRA loves to write up tickets, and being over capacity is a hefty one.

Thus my point about it's more about people than weight. I've seen a guy get a ticket for one over capacity, while another guy had an additional 1500lbs of weight in his boat over capacity, but only 4 people skate by.

Weight is more in regards to sinking your boat like an idiot, people is more about safety. Thus the water patrol watches people.

I've been stopped by DNR before and was checked for everything under the sun, except weight. This was before I hid and plumbed in my ballast system so I had around 1000 lbs of full sacs sitting all around on my floor in plain sight and the officer didn't say a word about it.

As the captain of the boat the lives of the passengers on board are in your hands. If for some reason the boat does down and the capacities are exceeded then guess who will be guilty in the court of law??? Even worse if someone gets injured or killed....

Don't think it could never happen to you.... Every season there are many innocent lives lost on the lakes due to the ignorance and not understanding rules and regulations.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by cole1 View Post
    I was pulled over by lake patrol the other day and they did the full inspection, which I passed... However, he asked me what the sticker said next to the throttle lever that tells the boat capacities... Well my sticker must have been removed by a previous owner at some point so I didn't know what to tell him. Can someone with a comp similar year tell me what their sticker says? Does anyone know where to get a replacement sticker?
    6 persons or 835lbs

My 89 Conbrio says 6 people or 850 lbs