Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: water leak

Default water leak

Hi Acf Thanks for the response, I agree, pulling up the floor is a very last resort ! However I think I may have stumbled upon something along the lines of what you suggest !I removed the bottom screw of the flange around the exhaust flap thatis against the hull ,no water came out of the scew hole. I then siliconed the screw and the area around the flange and replaced the screw. I put the boat in the water,and ran it for acouple of hours --would you believe--no leak !However I would still like to replace the flaps like you suggest- would prefer the stainless steel as opposed to the rubber , can you suggest where I might order a set ? Many Thanks John D.
    "it's great having a Supra " 87 supra Ts6m comp -silver/grey

John,

Hope that solves your problem, and if so, glad I could help.

I've seen the stainless flaps on somobody's website, but I don't know where. If I get a chance today I will look. My 88 Comp came with stainless SuperTrapp "mufflers" which evidently were either an option, or only used for a little while. One of these is missing and I can't find a replacement. It was taken off when the boat got swamped 10 or 12 years ago, and never put back on. The friend who owned the boat divorced his crazy wife and took a job in DC, leaving the boat in Tennessee. He called and just gave it to me last July. The Supertrapp mufflers attach to the transom where the flaps normally are, so I have ordered some thru hull fittings, and flaps, and plan on converting mine to flaps. I had forgot about the stainless ones, but they may be better than the rubber.

Default water leak

Hi Acf--Apparently the stainless steel flaps are part and parcel with the supertrapp mufflers. All the flaps are rubber,with the exception of the suppertrapps. If you get any more info, keep me posted Regards John D.

John,
    The Supertrapps don't have flaps, they just have a stack of disks with a sort of bowl over the end. There is nothing wrong with the rubber flaps, but if you want to spend some bucks, the stainless ones can be had. I did a search on Marine Exhausts and found a number of different stainless exhaust flaps. I found one website I really like and their product has flaps that can be replaced if they ever fail.

Take a look at the below site. They have lots of goodies.

http://www.danamarineproducts.com

Default water leak

HI ACF--Many thanks for the web site--needless to say THIS website is a wealth of information thanks to you guys-I have been in contact with a couple of dealers, they don`t seem to either be knowledgeable or are indifferent about information--ie-- just pop out the 4 screws holding down the hatch over the muffler and determine where the leak is --Well, I have abuddy who has an 87 and states that there is no muffler ,just a straight pipe and super trapps which had been removed!Supracomp stated in JULY 05 --there is no muffler between the supertrapps and the manifold on 87`s-- so there you go !Any How my boat is an 87 with the supertrapps removed by the previous owner. Am presently in Montreal,back home n ext week,in time to get serious about boat leaks --will keep you posted ! Regards John D.

Bennett's Boat Repair has some Supertrapps. I called Donnie and he sold me one, but they aren't cheap. A lot of folks removed them to get less back pressure. This is fine as long as the mounting ring is left in place and everything stays sealed.