Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Hagman View Post
    This is a picture of trex on my deck. I'm a builder and I've been using this stuff since it first come out. And for the last two years I've been replacing bad trex decking on numerous decks. Trex will pay for the material but you're out the labor. I took this picture just today. And this is typical of what I've been finding out in the field. The carpenter house is always all ways the to get fixed.

yes it seems there was a bad batch of this stuff going around, but im to far along to turn back now and not enough funds to change my plans so i just hope i got the good stuff if not geuss we will just have to do another build thread down the road with new goodies

Those front railings have a more slope to them then mine, I wonder if mine are stock? !

Hmmm, I say go for it! I have put in 8 months of everyweekend busting balls to get my sunsport ready by may 1st and I have got to say I. would hire some help to meet your deadline lol .... good luck and if u have any questions these guys were great helping me with my project ,
    and welcome u to endlessness of grinding hours ahead
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

good thread you started here Steve. I did a lot of research before redoing the stringers in my boat and what it came down to was 1.cost, 2.longevity, 3. cost, 4.workability, 5.cost., etc. I ended up doing mine out of plywood, and as mentioned before the main culprits of stringer/floor failure are poor foam, poor drainage, poor previous owners, and some shotty factory fiberglass work. After all that is addressed and fixed the plywood stringers should last at least 10-15 years. I'm rooting for you to succeed with the composite stringers mainly because I was too scared to go that route myself. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

I would call a fiberglass repair shop and ask them what they think of using the plastic type boards for stringers. A fiberglass boat hull must flex to some degree while running through waves at speed in the water. The hull is going to flex no matter what, the question is will the plastic cored stringers flex with it or break away from it. I honestly don't know. If it were feasible, I'd think we'd see some boats made from the factory with starboard cored stringers. (Starboard is a composite wood replacement material marketed to the marine industry) It does seem like a really good idea. but before you put all that work into it, it might be worthwhile to ask someone with professional experience for their opinion.

I do know one thing: Running at speed in a heavy chop headed to the boat ramp trying to outrun a thunderstorm is a lousy time for a structural hull failure.
    Last edited by DKJBama92Mariah; 03-21-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

well i got the floor up and most of the foam out also, next step is to bring it to the boat ramp and make sure there are no leaks in the hull then off to pull the motor start on the stringers

here is what it looks like now

Progress?????

Sorry ol buddy but Trex is a "structural" product that is used to build decks that can support more weight than a boat, motor and trailer on it. I never thought about using such a material but what you say is also true.....use more epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth. There is a good web site for buying glass that also helps you calculate what its strength will be complete. "fabuglass" or something