Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default starter/bendix 87 Sunsport

I replaced my starter with a new one about three years ago. Yesterday my son called me from the boat "Dad it won't start, what do I do?" That causes me great pain since on top of being a mechanical moron, it's hard to fix things over the phone.
    We have a voltmeter in the boat and the battery was fine. He explained that there was sometimes just a click from the 50 amp breaker, but when I told him to just reset the button it didn't help. Sometime it made a sound like "rattling marbles in a can". I remembered something about a bendix from my youth, and I told him to gently tap the starter with a hammer. It started and worked all day.
    Am I a genius, or just lucky? and do I have to replace the starter again?

Sometimes a starter can get a flat spot and not want to turn over if it lands on that flat spot. Tapping with a hammer can sometimes work. My guess, however, is you have a bad starter solinoid.

Thanks for your help. Does the solenoid have to be marine or can I get it from NAPA?
    I know I could call Anthony at Supra or Vince at SKIDIM, but any advice on how to replace the solenoid would be appreciated.

It's pretty simple to pull the solinoid. You will see once you pull the starter. I don't know if there are special marine solinoids or not. Pull the old one and compare it to the one from NAPA it may be the same.

Most part stores have a marine parts line I know Carquest, NAPA, Advance around here do.
    2006 LAUNCH 21V

HARDCORE HYDROFOILING

Are you sure its the solenoid? You can test the solenoid by using a volt meter
    Check the voltage at both large terms on the sides with the key in the crank
    position should have the same voltage. You can also jump over the solenoid
    by connecting the two large terms with a car jumping cable set. Caution
    the starter should turn over when the jumper is attached. If not check all
    connections and batt voltage. If they are good problem is in the starter.

I agree with what Stuv070 wrote.

Default Starter or Ignition Switch?

87 Sunsport - last 3 times out when I start the boat, the engine starts but the starter continues to engage. Is this a switch problem or a starter issue?

Thanks for any help.

It may be either one. it's hard to tell without listening to what's happening. Generally, if it's the switch the starter keeps turning until you turn it to the off position, and a spring makes a grinding noise or wouldn't engage when you turn the key it just spins. If you can't tell the difference, pull the starter and turn it over, see if it continues to spin in the run position -- if it does, it's the switch. Then watch the Bendix gear to see if it pushes out to the start position and returns. If it doesn't it's the spring.

i'd just pull the starter and bring it in to an auto electric shop. they'll test it, shouldn't be a charge if it's ok (maybe a small charge).