Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Installed Dual Batt.. need some help

Hey guys.. very new to the forum. Was bummed this site was down last month for so long when I picked up my '88 Saltare w/ the 454 PCM, was so eager to learn!

To summarize, the boat came w/ 2 batteries.. previous owner had them wired up together. It started fine.. but died on the water once at idle. I connected the 2nd battery that was disconnected, and it fired right back up. When I came home, I decided to be "smart" and install a Blue Sea battery switch along w/ their ACR charging system. I used 2 gauge cable for the whole install and ran 2 80amp fuses between the battery and the ACR unit.

In addition to the above, I decided to install a new alternator from Nautique Parts, the Mando RA097006A

All excited, I turned the key today and blew the starter battery fuse I installed. And with that, I just can't get it to crank. Batteries were charged fully last week. Not sure if they lost some charge during the install.

I put the old Motorola alternator in, nothing. I then disconnected my dual battery setup and just took the original boat power and ground, tied it to the battery with the old alternator and nothing. New alternator., nothing. I grabbed a newish battery out of my buddies boat, nothing. Just a click.. but not enough juice to turn it at all.

What could it be? I'm so tired... lol

I was a bit confused on the wiring of the alternators. I assume that the yellow line, which connects to purple on the boat, is the exciter hook up (EXC). Right? Anyone have any ideas? Should I scrap this 2 battery ACR setup and go with something simpler?

20210901_154810.jpg20210831_074756.jpg'

I don't know the system you installed . Start with the 50 amp red breaker at the back of the engine above the trans. Recheck your wiring. You spent a ton of money on that stuff you should ask what to buy first.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleBoat View Post
    Hey guys.. very new to the forum. Was bummed this site was down last month for so long when I picked up my '88 Saltare w/ the 454 PCM, was so eager to learn!

To summarize, the boat came w/ 2 batteries.. previous owner had them wired up together. It started fine.. but died on the water once at idle. I connected the 2nd battery that was disconnected, and it fired right back up. When I came home, I decided to be "smart" and install a Blue Sea battery switch along w/ their ACR charging system. I used 2 gauge cable for the whole install and ran 2 80amp fuses between the battery and the ACR unit.

In addition to the above, I decided to install a new alternator from Nautique Parts, the Mando RA097006A

All excited, I turned the key today and blew the starter battery fuse I installed. And with that, I just can't get it to crank. Batteries were charged fully last week. Not sure if they lost some charge during the install.

I put the old Motorola alternator in, nothing. I then disconnected my dual battery setup and just took the original boat power and ground, tied it to the battery with the old alternator and nothing. New alternator., nothing. I grabbed a newish battery out of my buddies boat, nothing. Just a click.. but not enough juice to turn it at all.

What could it be? I'm so tired... lol

I was a bit confused on the wiring of the alternators. I assume that the yellow line, which connects to purple on the boat, is the exciter hook up (EXC). Right? Anyone have any ideas? Should I scrap this 2 battery ACR setup and go with something simpler?

20210901_154810.jpg20210831_074756.jpg'
    I know the advantage of dual batteries as I just installed them this summer on my boat. I did not wire in an ACR, I just have a dual battery charger that I plug in when I get home. I have a Perko switch and I alternate batteries on each trip.
    First, the alternator has nothing to do with the engine cranking. You need to figure out why it is blowing fuses when you try and start. Go back to the original setup(disconnect one of your batteries) and check all connections and grounds. If it didn't blow before, you have something hooked up wrong. I'm also not sure what type of starter solenoid/relay your boat has. You may have shorted that during your new hookup.

and blew the starter battery fuse I installed
    Is this one of the 80A fuses installed between the batteries and ACR? If so, then you have something regarding the new switch and ACR that is majorly wired incorrect.

The alternator will not have any effect on the engine starting or not. Only charging or not charging once engine is running. So, if you are unsure of how the new alternator needs to be wired, put the old back in as it was originally for now.

To diagnose this, you will need a digital volt/ohm meter, and know how to use it. Once the cranking issue is resolved, you are going to need an accurate schematic for building the dual bank system.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Agree with secondsupra2004, alternator is unrelated. Starter motor isn’t getting power or sufficient power. Open circuit, blown fuse, dead/low battery or bad relay.

Which battery in your picture is the starter battery? The one on the left is pretty old, 2017. Both batteries Known good and charged?

The fuse you blew, is that the 80amp fuses on the ACR or other fuses not shown in the picture?

FWIW, the 2 gauge on the ACR is overkill. Those wires need only to be sized for you max alternator or battery charger charging current. Fuses sized to protect wire size.

Quote Originally Posted by majortom View Post
    Agree with secondsupra2004, alternator is unrelated. Starter motor isn’t getting power or sufficient power. Open circuit, blown fuse, dead/low battery or bad relay.

Which battery in your picture is the starter battery? The one on the left is pretty old, 2017. Both batteries Known good and charged?

The fuse you blew, is that the 80amp fuses on the ACR or other fuses not shown in the picture?

FWIW, the 2 gauge on the ACR is overkill. Those wires need only to be sized for you max alternator or battery charger charging current. Fuses sized to protect wire size.
    I wasn't sure about wire size to the ACR because it comes directly off the battery.. so i just went 2 guage with 80 amp fuses in between the battery and ACR. What size do you recommend off the battery to the ACR.. i don't mind swapping the wire out.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    Is this one of the 80A fuses installed between the batteries and ACR? If so, then you have something regarding the new switch and ACR that is majorly wired incorrect.

The alternator will not have any effect on the engine starting or not. Only charging or not charging once engine is running. So, if you are unsure of how the new alternator needs to be wired, put the old back in as it was originally for now.

To diagnose this, you will need a digital volt/ohm meter, and know how to use it. Once the cranking issue is resolved, you are going to need an accurate schematic for building the dual bank system.
    I'm pretty sure all the wires are routed correctly. I did put in the original alternator and wired it back to stock.. but no dice. Maybe the battery is too low? I had them checked.. both were good.

Yes.. that 80amp fuse is between battery and ACR.

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    I know the advantage of dual batteries as I just installed them this summer on my boat. I did not wire in an ACR, I just have a dual battery charger that I plug in when I get home. I have a Perko switch and I alternate batteries on each trip.
    First, the alternator has nothing to do with the engine cranking. You need to figure out why it is blowing fuses when you try and start. Go back to the original setup(disconnect one of your batteries) and check all connections and grounds. If it didn't blow before, you have something hooked up wrong. I'm also not sure what type of starter solenoid/relay your boat has. You may have shorted that during your new hookup.
    Appreciate the feedback.. i will check the starter! I have a few fuses out by it.. but both were good. Will look again tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    I don't know the system you installed . Start with the 50 amp red breaker at the back of the engine above the trans. Recheck your wiring. You spent a ton of money on that stuff you should ask what to buy first.
    Not sure if i saw that breaker.. will look tomorrow. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleBoat View Post
    I'm pretty sure all the wires are routed correctly. I did put in the original alternator and wired it back to stock.. but no dice. Maybe the battery is too low? I had them checked.. both were good.

Yes.. that 80amp fuse is between battery and ACR.

Your 2ga and 80A fuse is fine, id leave it as long as the terminations are correct. You've already proven it works, as the fuse blew v's the 2ga melting down

However, I dont see how that fuse blew. Seems that there was a dead short between the 2 batteries. As if one was reversed polarity. Is the control ground the only circuit on the ACR, you are using? Thats one of the small blade terminals along the bottom. Or are you using the SI?
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio