Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2004 launch 22 ssv bogging

Hey guys. Just purchased a 2004 launch ssv about a week ago. The boat is in mint condition with about 250 hrs. Took the boat out for the first time this past weekend. It ran and operated perfectly until I got down to about a 1/4 tank of gas. It would start bogging down while cruising around 20 to 25 mph. If i backed of the throttle, it would do perfect. Get back up to speed and it would start to bog again after about 10 to 20 seconds. So i put about 10 gallons in at the marina. After that, we road around for about another hour or so with no issues. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpike View Post
    Hey guys. Just purchased a 2004 launch ssv about a week ago. The boat is in mint condition with about 250 hrs. Took the boat out for the first time this past weekend. It ran and operated perfectly until I got down to about a 1/4 tank of gas. It would start bogging down while cruising around 20 to 25 mph. If i backed of the throttle, it would do perfect. Get back up to speed and it would start to bog again after about 10 to 20 seconds. So i put about 10 gallons in at the marina. After that, we road around for about another hour or so with no issues. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any help would be awesome. Thanks
    Here is link talking about the anti-siphon valve in the fuel line. maybe this is your issue. Worth a check.
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...i+siphon+valve

Finding a 2004 Launch SSV with 250 hrs is a great find, but did you get maintenance records?
    Some owners that do not use boats that much will also not keep up on maintenance.

If you know how old the gas is, that's good. Otherwise I would get new gas into the system. Try using 100% fuel if possible.

I would change out the fuel filter too.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    Finding a 2004 Launch SSV with 250 hrs is a great find, but did you get maintenance records?
    Some owners that do not use boats that much will also not keep up on maintenance.

If you know how old the gas is, that's good. Otherwise I would get new gas into the system. Try using 100% fuel if possible.

I would change out the fuel filter too.
    All good advise. Bought my 04' last year with 302 hours. It wasn't abused, but not maintained like I normally would. I spent many hours going thru it and replacing a lot of parts and cleaning the entire inside. It had been stored outside at a consign lot and even with it being covered there was a lot of mildew we had to clean up.

Thanks guys. I do have all the maintenance records from when it was new. When I tested it on the water before I bought it, it had no hesitation issues and it had about a 1/4 of a tank as well. We where probably on the water then for about 1hr. Last weekend, I filled the tank up. It took a little over 28 gallons. so 12 still in it from the previous owner. Like I said though, It did not give me the first problem until it was close to 1/4 tank. Total of about 8 hrs last weekend before it started to hesitate. I did use gas with ethanol when I filled up. I did read the link you posted MJHKnox. I have not checked my fuel line yet.
    kinda of confused on which hose, fuel feed or return?

Update. Took it out today. It started running rough around 3000rpms after a couple of hours on the lake. Same as it did showing a quarter of a tank. This time it had about 3 quarters of a tank. After it started, if I back off the throttle below 2500 rpms, no issue...... I checked the fuel feed pipe and it looks good. The screen on the end is clean and cracks.....????

Is this a fuel injected motor? I’d check the fuel pump and fuel regulator. Also worth checking is the fuel tank vent lines. Check distributor cap and rotor as well. Replace ones with brass and not the crappy aluminum ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is FI. So when it started acting up, I did loosen the gas cap to see if it made a difference wondering if it was vent related. It didnt change a thing. I have seen posting having similar issues and talking about replacing the TPS. Have you heard of that?

Quote Originally Posted by dpike View Post
    Update. Took it out today. It started running rough around 3000rpms after a couple of hours on the lake. Same as it did showing a quarter of a tank. This time it had about 3 quarters of a tank. After it started, if I back off the throttle below 2500 rpms, no issue...... I checked the fuel feed pipe and it looks good. The screen on the end is clean and cracks.....????
    What is a fuel feed pipe? Do you mean the high pressure line coming from the pump to the throttle body or the feed line from the tank to the pump? What screen are you talking about? In the tank? Did you change the fuel filter yet? Mine did not originally have one so I plumbed one in.

I'm changing the fuel filter today. The fuel feed line is the line inside the tank. It has a screen on the bottom of the pipe for trash I assume.