Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Heater Install in a 1989 Supra Comp

Wondering if anyone has ever installed a heater in an older Supra Comp? (1989) Wondering if it's a difficult job or of I should let the dealership do this install?

I'm putting one in my Saltare rebuild. It's pretty straight forward. If you winterize your own boat then you can probably tackle it yourself. You can pick up one of the kits or just pick up a heater core from Napa and put a sheet metal box around it and plumb the heater up.

There are some decent diy videos out there that cover most everything you would need to know. Check them out and if you decide to tackle it just keep the thread going and share some pics and ask questions if you get stuck.

Have 89 conbrio.
    I had the dealer install when I acquired the boat as used.
    Watching the mechanic doing the install I realized how tight the space was to work in
    keeping in mind I am a big guy.
    If you are nimble and mechanically inclined go for it.
    As for myself, I am more than pleased to have utilized a pro to do the install.
    Good luck

What did they do for the vent tubes that pull out? Where did they install everything, under the driver side dash? The spotter seat in my 89 Comp is pretty low and I don't think anything will fit under there. Did they make you a separate box to install everything in?

DSC05266-1.jpg

I do my own winterizing and think I may be able to do it but i'm not sure where the best place is for the heater core box and where I should put the vent tubes. Space I can't have the flex tubes in my ski locker up front. They will get torn up pulling skis in and out... Any ideas?DSC05266-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by footer1 View Post
    What did they do for the vent tubes that pull out? Where did they install everything, under the driver side dash? The spotter seat in my 89 Comp is pretty low and I don't think anything will fit under there. Did they make you a separate box to install everything in?

DSC05266-1.jpg
    They ran one tube to the drivers side lower left in footwell area.
    They ran one tube under spotters seat thru the storage area and made a clean circular cut out in the fibreglass seat frame just above the carpet floor where ones heal would be up against. In the storage area there is a metal tube that the flex plastic tube is manualy recoiled back into when not in use. On the outside of the fibreglass frame there is a black female ring that the flex tube with male end ring clips to when recessed. Easy peasy when using. In this way one can simply pull the flex tube out of the metal tube it sits within and bring it up to the spotter or skier needing warming etc. I had the third flex tube run up to the spotter cupholder on the dash just below the windshield to act as a defroster on those cool dew like mornings when trying to grab clean water for a ski.
    Good luck

Great idea... Thanks!

If you pm me with your email address I will send you a pic or two of outlets which better show my earlier description.

Thanks for the ideas. I decided to bring it to the dealership that services my because I knew they would do a clean install and it's the off season for them.
    They did a great job. Here are a few pictures:Heater.jpg Heater Install 6jpg.jpg

Default Heater Install Pictures

Last edited by footer1; 02-09-2018 at 11:19 PM.