Hybrid View

Default Is my boat Drive By Wire?

My 2006 was drive by wire capable but still had the servo style from the factory. When I changed to stargazer, I upgraded to drive by wire which required removal of the servo motor, throttle tie in, and control module. Had to install a new module and run a harness back to the motor that tied into the main engine harness. No more servo motor. Huge improvement.

Reviving this thread because I'm still thinking of the upgrade. Looked at my PP module and it's serial number started with WP, so no DBW on my boat. Does this mean I need to upgrade multiple items, or can I still just upgrade the brain and use the mechanical servo easily for Stargazer?
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty75 View Post
    My 2006 was drive by wire capable but still had the servo style from the factory. When I changed to stargazer, I upgraded to drive by wire which required removal of the servo motor, throttle tie in, and control module. Had to install a new module and run a harness back to the motor that tied into the main engine harness. No more servo motor. Huge improvement.
    Can you give me some more info on your install? How much was the extra harness? Does it require splicing into wires, or were there connectors that just plugged in?
    Last edited by Zim; 05-06-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Call or email perfect pass. I asked this question about my 2008, they said my PP was built into the software of the boat controller, and while I could do the stargazer, it would not integrate, and I would have to put in a PP dial in the dash to work it. They can answer, and are great about doing so.

It turned out I had to replace the sensor that goes thru the hull - and it's a special one made just for Supra, so of course, you cannot just buy any old replacement. But check with them. I got the new one in (takes about 2 minutes to install on my boat) and BAM, PP and speedo and PP working again like new.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    Call or email perfect pass. I asked this question about my 2008, they said my PP was built into the software of the boat controller, and while I could do the stargazer, it would not integrate, and I would have to put in a PP dial in the dash to work it. They can answer, and are great about doing so.

It turned out I had to replace the sensor that goes thru the hull - and it's a special one made just for Supra, so of course, you cannot just buy any old replacement. But check with them. I got the new one in (takes about 2 minutes to install on my boat) and BAM, PP and speedo and PP working again like new.
    Yeah I thought about going that route, but if I'm going to replace a 300 dollar sensor I might as well just upgrade to SG. I don't boat on rivers or lakes with a current, so I don't need the paddlewheel and it seems like a PITA. In 2006, my guages are still all analog with a separate PP guage that's not integrated into anything. 07 was the year it switched over to the dash with that screen.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Like Smitty76, my 2006 also has a drive by wire motor but for some reason the PP has a servo. It's on the list for future upgrades. I can't stand it when it goes into that "rewinding servo" mode.
    2006 Launch 24 SSV Gravity Games w/8.1