Hybrid View

Does anyone know if a carb rebuild would likely fix the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Straitcountry86 View Post
    Does anyone know if a carb rebuild would likely fix the issue?
    I'd put my money on yes.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I'm not the greatest with carbs but it sound to me like something electronic on the carb isn't working properly. If your turning off the boat to reset the idle it's seems electrical. With my limited carb knowledge I'm pretty sure these things are suppose to be tuned when the engine is warm. Could the idle or fuel be set too high and when it's warm it's staying at the high idle position. Take all that with a grain of salt but to me it's a carb issue.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Bump to the top as it is time for me to try and solve this issue.

you should have an electric choke on your carb, i'd start there and make sure the choke isn't sticking, causing a high idle. It happened to me once on my old ski nautique, it can be adjusted with a flat blade screw driver.
    also check to make sure all of the throttle linkage, throttle plates/shaft and the cable isnt sticky and moves free through out the entire operating range. It may me time for a carb rebuilt also. Definately sounds carb related to me.

what rpm does it idle at when it idles normally?
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    you should have an electric choke on your carb, i'd start there and make sure the choke isn't sticking, causing a high idle. It happened to me once on my old ski nautique, it can be adjusted with a flat blade screw driver.
    also check to make sure all of the throttle linkage, throttle plates/shaft and the cable isnt sticky and moves free through out the entire operating range. It may me time for a carb rebuilt also. Definately sounds carb related to me.

what rpm does it idle at when it idles normally?
    Normal idle seems ok. Maybe 800 or so. Then when it sticks it goes up to 2-3000. I was thinking about the electronic choke and wondering if that could be it, since the problem does seem to be related to something electrical (since it goes away when you stop and restart.) Was also thinking about doing a carb rebuild as well. Are these fairly easy to rebuild or am I better off having a professional do it?

You can try to unhook the 12v power wire that attaches to the choke (the only wire on it) and unhook the choke linkage or wire it open, then see if your still getting a high idle. if not, then your problem is more than likely a misadjusted or bad choke.

I've rebuilt my fair share of carbs. If your careful, organized and take your time, its not very difficult. There's small pieces that are lost easily. Other than that its just cleaning and replacing gaskets for the most part.
    If your somewhat mechanically inclined then i'd say give it a try
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4