Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Great videos Steve! My favorite was when your brother-in-law fell, and the camera was filming him swimming back to the board in the background. It was funny for some reason, the board floating there idle, and him swimming around 30' away.

and I appreciate the un-deserved compliment about my surfing
    How arrogant am I that I thougt you were talking about me...??...
    Last edited by ScottnAz; 08-16-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Smile

Ok- I got my GoPro on Friday. Here is the footage from our Saturday session. Still a little weak due to a sprained ankle, but it was such a great day to ride!

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS49mq0Dpv4

That is so cool!
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyernc View Post
    Ok- I got my GoPro on Friday. Here is the footage from our Saturday session. Still a little weak due to a sprained ankle, but it was such a great day to ride!

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS49mq0Dpv4
    Nice video! are you recording in L4 or L3 mode? L3 mode I was told is the best because you get 60 FPS instead of 30 FPS in L4. L4 is what the camera will automatically default to. We are going out thursday and I am going to try L3 mode.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

FMan got to say that is an amazing spot to ride and i'm really envious. we have a river near us and its no where near as nice. We got barges going through it. For a nominal 250 thats money well spent on that sweet cam. love the video. I did notice that your coming up just a bit short on your wake to wake jumps. If i may suggest either pulling the rope in another 5 feet or maybe bumping up the speed that will get you across and the landing on the other side is much smoother i promise.

Quote Originally Posted by wakejmpr View Post
    FMan got to say that is an amazing spot to ride and i'm really envious. we have a river near us and its no where near as nice. We got barges going through it. For a nominal 250 thats money well spent on that sweet cam. love the video. I did notice that your coming up just a bit short on your wake to wake jumps. If i may suggest either pulling the rope in another 5 feet or maybe bumping up the speed that will get you across and the landing on the other side is much smoother i promise.
    Thanks for tips, we have some beautiful lakes within 1.5 hours, especially during the weekdays when traffic is very light. I am riding at 65' at 22.4 MPH, for some reason I cant clear the wake but only on occasion. I dont think I am squaring up to the wake properly to get a good pop, I could go to 60' but that seems real short. I notice many explode across the wake and I seem to be hitting it at an angle which does not give you the launch/pop needed to clear.

What do you think?
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Fman I would also be happy to lend tips anytime. The trick is truly in the progressive edge technique. Neither a big cut nor lots of speed are necessary. The trick is to load the line by leaning back and digging your edge in. Even starting less than 10' outside the wake I can clear it.

When you edge out for your setup, pause 3seconds before cutting back in to let slack out of rope. Don't initiate your turn by turning your board. Lean back and set your edge with your weight a little more on your back foot. Try to arch your upper back and try to stick your chest out. This holds your stance in the proper position and really lets you lean away from the boat. Your board should still be at about a 45 degree angle to the path of the boat. No super-hard cut is needed (we'll add that back in later). Start out with a mellow cut and built as you get near the wake. But you have to have a good solid edge set throughout the cut.

When you hit the wake, pull the handle in and dont try to bounce or jump just straighten your legs and brace for the pop. Keep the handle in near your waist while you're in the air.
    Last edited by 87SunSportMikeyD; 08-25-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Quote Originally Posted by 87SunSportMikeyD View Post
    Fman I would also be happy to lend tips anytime. The trick is truly in the progressive edge technique. Neither a big cut nor lots of speed are necessary. The trick is to load the line by leaning back and digging your edge in. Even starting less than 10' outside the wake I can clear it.

When you edge out for your setup, pause 3seconds before cutting back in to let slack out of rope. Don't initiate your turn by turning your board. Lean back and set your edge with your weight a little more on your back foot. Try to arch your upper back and try to stick your chest out. This holds your stance in the proper position and really lets you lean away from the boat. Your board should still be at about a 45 degree angle to the path of the boat. No super-hard cut is needed (we'll add that back in later). Start out with a mellow cut and built as you get near the wake. But you have to have a good solid edge set throughout the cut.

When you hit the wake, pull the handle in and dont try to bounce or jump just straighten your legs and brace for the pop. Keep the handle in near your waist while you're in the air.
    Mikey,

Thanks for the tips... I am going out tomorrow, I have noticed some riders effortlessly clear the wake.... I tend to try and jump when hitting the wake, raising my legs up but my height is not there to clear the wake. I always have the fear of nose-diving the board and catching an edge.... and well you know, BAM! .... just getting to old for that to happen anymore. I will give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. I would think 22.4MPH @ 65' should do it for wake size and speed needed to clear the wake??? should I speed up or shorten line length?
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Ok so at 65ft I would say 23.6/.8 should get you across no problem. Anything under 23 is probably to slow. I ride at 70ft and usually 24.6/.8 depends. I'll pull the rope in and slow it down to practice tricks and once I get the feel then drop back the 5 ft and speed it up. As far as approach goes before you start to pull in bring the rope to your hip and make sure the line is loaded. No slack otherwise you won't have the momentum to clear. Then take a nice progressive edge toward the wake and at the top make sure you stand up at it to get the pop you need. You don't need to squat and dig deep for momentum if you have the right boat speed. If you keep the rope tucked in and near your hip that will help keep your body centered over the board and avoid those nasty toe edge catching fly swats. 60 ft is a little short but at 22 that's where I feel you would need to be to go wake to wake. It really all comes down to comfort level too. If your not into the faster boat speed then try the rope length for a few pulls and get the feel for clearing everytime. Then when your wakejumps are more solid back it out 5 ft and speed up the boat. Let me know if this helps. Happy to give advice. Usually run clinics on Wednesdays.

Quote Originally Posted by wakejmpr View Post
    Ok so at 65ft I would say 23.6/.8 should get you across no problem. Anything under 23 is probably to slow. I ride at 70ft and usually 24.6/.8 depends. I'll pull the rope in and slow it down to practice tricks and once I get the feel then drop back the 5 ft and speed it up. As far as approach goes before you start to pull in bring the rope to your hip and make sure the line is loaded. No slack otherwise you won't have the momentum to clear. Then take a nice progressive edge toward the wake and at the top make sure you stand up at it to get the pop you need. You don't need to squat and dig deep for momentum if you have the right boat speed. If you keep the rope tucked in and near your hip that will help keep your body centered over the board and avoid those nasty toe edge catching fly swats. 60 ft is a little short but at 22 that's where I feel you would need to be to go wake to wake. It really all comes down to comfort level too. If your not into the faster boat speed then try the rope length for a few pulls and get the feel for clearing everytime. Then when your wakejumps are more solid back it out 5 ft and speed up the boat. Let me know if this helps. Happy to give advice. Usually run clinics on Wednesdays.
    Thanks again for all the help, I went out today and same problem... very close, about within a foot of clearing the edge of the wake. I was at 65' @ 22.4, I will try 60' next time out and see what happens. I like how you mentioned keeping the rope close to your hip helps eliminate nose dives, because at my age they are hurting more and more....

My wake on the boat was absolutely perfect today, a more experienced ride who was with us said it was "incredible..." was running about 1500 lbs of weight... I really like my boat more and more, the wake on the Supra's I feel is awesome... lots of fun!!! hope to be out next week again sometime.
    Last edited by Fman; 08-26-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV