Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Nice job, beautiful boat! Not trying to be rude, but I was wondering if you are glad you rebuilt the Sunsport instead of buying something newer? I'm deliberating if I rebuild mine or pass it off to the next guy to do.
    Also curious what lake you are on, for some reason I thought you were in Illinois when I was reading the thread but I don't think there is any scenery like that in Illinois.

Cheers, Zach

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

Quote Originally Posted by zroe View Post
    Nice job, beautiful boat! Not trying to be rude, but I was wondering if you are glad you rebuilt the Sunsport instead of buying something newer? I'm deliberating if I rebuild mine or pass it off to the next guy to do.
    Also curious what lake you are on, for some reason I thought you were in Illinois when I was reading the thread but I don't think there is any scenery like that in Illinois.

Cheers, Zach

I’m assuming you would want to fix up a boat b/c you like the model. Not for the money aspect of selling it afterwards.

At the end of the day, the older boats only hold so much value no matter if everything is brand new, but if you get personal satisfaction from you boat, they who cares what others say it’s worth or if someone else likes it or does not like it.

I go to a lot of hot rod shows. People will spend 40-50 building cars or trucks where the market prices are 30-35 and there is a limited market for interested buyers.

You need to be comfortable with the time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by zroe View Post
    Nice job, beautiful boat!.......

Thanks man! Very valid question and one that can be upsetting. I would say with all honesty that if placed in the same situation but with the knowledge I have now, I would not do this again. It’s to far too time consuming and labor intensive. I could have generated enough income during the time that it took to build this to buy a much nicer boat. I mainly did this because I misjudged the work and the cost... oh and I’m just addicted to personal projects.
    However, if you are someone who doesn’t plan on allocating your spare time to generating more income and you have spare time AND you have a fully equipped garage/ shop, then sure, give it a go! It was fun to look back on my hard work and enjoy a sense of accomplishment.
    Ultimately I spent FAR more time and money then the boat could ever be worth, but how I justify that extra cost is in the knowledge gained and the gain in confidence to tackle anything.
    I initially got this boat to get on the water and wakeboard/ surf. In the 2.5 years it took to build this, I never had a boat or the time to get on the water. I could have gotten a loan on a boat and enjoyed these 2-3 years on the lake.

Shortly after purchasing the boat I moved from Illinois to Phoenix to finish my engineering degree.

Hope this helps you make your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default 1986 Supra restoration

[QUOTE=Milliken37;133480]Thanks man! Very valid question and one that can be upsetting. I would say with all honesty that if placed in the same situation but with the knowledge I have now, I would not do this again. It’s to far too time consuming and labor intensive. I could have generated enough income during the time that it took to build this to buy a much nicer boat. I mainly did this because I misjudged the work and the cost... oh and I’m just addicted to personal projects.
    However, if you are someone who doesn’t plan on allocating your spare time to generating more income and you have spare time AND you have a fully equipped garage/ shop, then sure, give it a go! It was fun to look back on my hard work and enjoy a sense of accomplishment.
    Ultimately I spent FAR more time and money then the boat could ever be worth, but how I justify that extra cost is in the knowledge gained and the gain in confidence to tackle anything.
    I initially got this boat to get on the water and wakeboard/ surf. In the 2.5 years it took to build this, I never had a boat or the time to get on the water. I could have gotten a loan on a boat and enjoyed these 2-3 years on the lake.

Shortly after purchasing the boat I moved from Illinois to Phoenix to finish my engineering degree.

Hope this helps you make your decision!

Milliken37 - I'm resurrecting your thread. The restoration work you did on your '86 was First Class - all the way. I, too, own an '86 Supra SunSport that was remodeled. I purchased it last year (2019) and what a gem it is. I do own a few classic cars (hot rods, too) and yes, even it you're experienced at this, the time and cost do surpass initial expectations. However, the fact you own the boat outright without a loan and the fact it will perform to your expectations is meaningful. Most importantly, the fact that it brings you joy is "PRICELESS". Your restoration is truly impressive - and you did it yourself. Incredible work, thank you for sharing all of this.

Related topic, here's the link to the '86 Supra I purchased after it was remodeled (complete restoration including floors & stringers): https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...nsport+rebuild