Thread: closed bow

Default closed bow

Can you walk, sit, or layout on a closed bow comp? 1992 to be specific...

maybe if you have webbed feet

Honestly, it's a little difficult at best. You won't hurt the boat any, but you might hurt yourself when you slip!
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Quote Originally Posted by murnmill View Post
    Can you walk, sit, or layout on a closed bow comp? 1992 to be specific...
    I walk on the front closed bow of my comp when I am mooring it on a buoy. I usually lay down and hang over the front to catch the buoy though. Can you lay out on the bow, I guess you can do that too but the space is rather short.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Your question is worded weird:

Do you mean can you walk, sit, or layout on the bow of a closed bow comp?
    or
    Can you walk, sit, or layout in the whole boat in a boat with a closed bow, like a Comp?

If it's the latter question:

Walking around in the boat is easy. The problem is when you start putting your gear in there, it gets real tricky. I always put the cooler behind the captains seat as you really don't walk around there much. You and your crew will learn real quick, only bring the necessities, and bare necessities at that. The more familiar you are with how to stow towels, bags, and gear under the bow hatch and under seats the happier you will be.

Put people in the boat, and yes, it's tricky to walk around with everyone's legs. But so is my Saltare. Just no real getting around that. But it's your gear that will be the killer.

The stern hatch is a perfect place for a lady to lay out and get a tan and relax. The back bench seat is perfect for a lady to layout while cruising. Breeze and spray from the water will keep them cool while they sun.

If if you're asking can you lay out or sit on the bow of the Comp? Sure. Laying out would require using the windsheild as a backrest (with towel). Sitting is fine, they are very strong bows and bodies. Not much you can do to hurt it.

You cannot do any of that while you are underway though. Only anchored or adrift. If you are underway it's against the law in most states to ride upon a bow of a boat that small. Nor would you want them too. The extra weight will make the bow want to submarine more than normal, and if that happens the person will get washed right off the boat and possibly under it.

I think the answer is simply, yes.

I believe you're just wondering about the structural integrity of the bow of your boat? This would be Haugy's first question... the answer is yes.

Here, this should help the matter...

Supra 04.jpg
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I think this question also treads in the area of boaters etiquette. Is the bow strong enough to support the weight of the person. Yes. Would I choose to do it all the time. Personally I would say no. Walking on your bow could eventually lead to having hairline stress cracks I wouldn‘t want to take a chance . I guess I kinda look at it like, would I let anybody sit or stand on the hood of my Vette. Every Boat owner is going to have their own opinion. It’s would be best to ask first.