Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Default Restoration progress (with pics)

Some of you may have noticed that I'm a new member here and have been asking a few questions. I've also been reading through several years of posts from all the regulars. Thanks to everyone.

Here are a few things I've been doing. Starting to wet sand and polish. Refinishing the swim platform, etc.

I have a question about the small gelcoats cracks I have around the exhaust and other places on the stern. Are these anything to be concerned about? Anyone repaired something like this? I've read a DIY for how to repair something like this but I wonder about the practicality of matching the gelcoat color. Thoughts?

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

It might not be a bad idea to consider fixing those since they travel so far. Since you're prepping to wetsand and polish, now would be a good time to do it.

I'm not much help on gelcoat repair...I've yet to do it myself. I've seen a few threads on it and it looks like the best approach is to use a dremel to drill out along the crack and create a valley for the application of the new gel.

Hey guys..are theses stress cracks?? Anything to worry about or just cosmetic? Jet
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I think your boat is my twin. Our gelcoat color appears to be the same.... I've seen two other red on white Saltares of that vintage in person and both of them had a darker red than my boat.

I don't have any great insight into what those stress cracks mean -- except to tell you that my boat doesn't have them that go out nearly that far.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I'd say the ones around the swim deck "could" be from stress. I'd bet they are more from the method used to drill and screw in at those areas. It seems like they all originate from screw or bolt holes. It might be worth trying to get a look at the area behind where the swim deck mounts to see, if possible. Otherwise, just fix them. Since those are all below or at the waterline, it probably would be good to fix them so you minimize seepage of water in between the gel and glass.

Yeah Wot - I thought I was seeing double...

I'm no expert on gelcoat, but my .02. Fiberglass needs a coating to fully waterproof it and protect from the elements. Gelcoat works great, but is hard and brittle, so it chips and cracks whereas fiberglass will flex a bit.

The cracks originating from the screw holes may just be from improper drilling or tightening the fasteners too much. However, the fact that they've traveled so far may indicate you've got some flexing going on back on the transom (which would also explain those around the swim platform). A one time big bump or overload of the platform could also be the culprit. Either way, I'd check the transom for stiffness and flex in case the glassed in plywood has given up - otherwise you risk the cracks re-appearing after any repairs.

I'd consider any stress cracks above the waterline as cosmetic (fix em if you want), but definitely repair those below. Constant wed/dry hot/cold cycles can cause the gel to delaminate and flake off. Gelcoat repair is like good auto body work - an artform. Not necessarily hard, but difficult to do right. Lots of books and articles on the web, but the real basics are: wipe on a marking solution to show all the cracks, grind them down to the glass full length plus a little, mix to match new gelcoat (the hardest part), apply (use waxed gel or cover to cure), block sand, repeat gel application if needed, sand, compound, polish.

The good news is it's the off-season for boat repair & you might be able to find a hungry glass man. Good luck.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post

These cracks are why you must always chamfer a hole into the gelcoat using a countersink bit before driving a screw into it.
    Last edited by DKJBama92Mariah; 11-02-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Also -- I'm curious now that I see your swim deck off: do you have access from the inside or did you just remove the bolts and let the nuts fall inside? If so.. how are you planning on remounting it?!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Thanks guys. I'm no fiberglass expert either, but I too think that below the waterline I shouldn't have any cracks. These cracks are very shallow, but are cracks none the less. I'm going to look into fixing them myself. I have a gelcoat repair kit. My only concern is matching the gelcoat color, but at least these are below the waterline...

1986 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    Also -- I'm curious now that I see your swim deck off: do you have access from the inside or did you just remove the bolts and let the nuts fall inside? If so.. how are you planning on remounting it?!
    Uhhhh..... oh crap? Now I'm understanding why all the top bolts were machine bolts and the bottom bolts were lag. I thought perhaps the PO had just put the wrong bolts in. It didn't feel like there was a nut on the other side. I thought they were all supposed to be lag bolts.

So what will it take to get to the back of the bolts? Will the tank have to come out?

1986 Saltare