Hybrid View

Default How do I check if my stringers are in need of attention?

Hi there, I just bought an '87 Supra Comp, same price as you paid, and it came with a receipt that the floors and carpet were replaced in 2003, but didn't see any "stringer" work. The boat has under a 100 hrs and is in great shape and was told it was taken good care of, and I do believe that, however, the stringers may still be compromised, can you tell me how I can look for evidence of that before I begin to use it pretty regularly under a load? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by ATXts6m View Post
    Hi there, I just bought an '87 Supra Comp, same price as you paid, and it came with a receipt that the floors and carpet were replaced in 2003, but didn't see any "stringer" work. The boat has under a 100 hrs and is in great shape and was told it was taken good care of, and I do believe that, however, the stringers may still be compromised, can you tell me how I can look for evidence of that before I begin to use it pretty regularly under a load? Thx

Check and see if the motor and tranny mounting bolts are tight or if they free spin. If you really want to know, drill a hole and see if the wood coming out is wet or dry. If its dry, seal it back up with some epoxy and enjoy! If its wet....
    86 Saltare

Yes, you'll have to do work - you'll have to make strategic decisions on dollars spent. In my opinion, for the money there's no better open bow boat that provides great options for all water sports. My starting point was $3k. I did the restoration over 2 years and have had 6 years of fun. Great boat, easy to work on and I get more compliments and questions than $100k new boats on the water. Dollars spent??? I'm upside down, but not much. Enjoy!
    IMG_0041.jpgIMG_0387.jpg