Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: $4000 later

How is the wakeplate set? It makes a big difference.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by Awill10291 View Post
    I'm sure there is some wet foam. In theory, would more sandbags/rockbags/ballast under the front closed bow help the boat plane out? I've wakeboarded for many years and had a phone app to track the speedometer. We were going 22mph and the front of the boat was very high up in the air it seemed like. I need a HUGE wake in order to do flips/get massive air, so I do plan on adding tons of weigh all throughout the boat, but need enough weight maybe in the front in order for it to plane out at 20-24mph.
    Why the use of solid ballast? I would use water ballast. What does the tach run when you are running at 20-24MPH? If you have a 1:1 trans, they should in theory even out or at least be close. The "Multi use wake plate" is also crucial to helping your boat attitude when running.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

The reason for solid ballast is sand bags are cheap... I only put 4 of them under the bow. I did man up and bought 2140lbs of fat sacs on thehouse.com for just $300 with pump included. The problem will be where to put them ha. I may even have to strap one 800lb bag to the front ontop of the bow, or remove the ghetto wood tanks someone made underneathe the closed bow if I can figure that out. One 800lb bag should easily lay accross the back, and hopefully the 540lb one can go on the drivers side bench. You know what, I don't think my boat has a WAKE PLATE... If it doesn't I can't imagine just drilling into the back of the boat, is it hard to install one? is it necessary? I'll take a look tonight, but i don't remember seeing a wakeplate.

Also I'll be honest, none of my gauges work ....... I use the phone for speedometer with an app. It's on my to do list though.

The wake plate is really important in helping the boat to plane out. Before you go do anything else to your boat, figure that out first. If it is not installed, the holes should all be back there still, just maybe filled in with a resin or something.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

This thread is really something else. Wood ballast tanks? That tower?? No wake plate??

I need to just stay out......
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Got the wet suit out and burrr it was cold but good wakeboard session! The beast ran great. Needs some expert info though. So I put about 300lbs of weight/ballasts up under the closed bow. I had 6 people average weight of 180lbs on the boat. The boat seemed very very hard to get it to plane off at wake boarding speeds! Do I need MORE ballasts/weight in the front? Or maybe I need ballast in the back? At 18-23mph it sometimes felt like the front of the boat was straight up and down. Help please!
    you need to re-prop. you likely have the stock 13"x13 prop which doesn't like weight. go down to at least a 13"x11.5, but 10.5 if you plan on running 2000lbs on the regular. i have a 10.5 (Acme model 913) and can still do 34-35mph if needed (you lose some top end) but the extra grunt of the lower-pitched prop helps a ton. i run about 2500 lbs for surfing and it does well as long as i don't also have a full boat of people. if you have a big crew plus ballast, you may want to go with the 9-pitch surf prop that Acme has (model 2101).
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    This thread is really something else. Wood ballast tanks? That tower?? No wake plate??

I need to just stay out......
    Don't forget the bag on top of the boat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think I might just strap one of the 800lb sacks ontop of the homeade tower that has no reinforcement.

I think I might just strap one of the 800lb sacks ontop of the homeade tower that has no reinforcement.
    Nice! I like the way you think! Go next level and skip all the wake stuff. Tow a big kicker ramp behind the boat and just hit that sumbitch!

You're really giving me ideas. It'd be like a cable park, but pulling the kicker to me.