Default Exhaust replacement

Anybody pull the exhaust out to replace it? how hard is it to do with out taking off the floor?

which model & year?

if it's 80's you won't get the exhaust tubes out with the floor in place. you can't slide them out the back and stringers are blocking them from going forward.

why do you want to replace them? they are very stout, bullet proof. do you have a leak? if so, it's most likely the trapps on the transom.

86 Sunsport... raw water impeller went, Engine was overheated and melted the plastic at the back and the flappers fell off. Can I change the plastic part that bolts on to the transom? cause that's what's taken the most heat (pardon the pun)
    I wondered if I could pull them out the back cause the lines to the manifolds are rubber.
    Last edited by wiatowski; 03-05-2012 at 05:37 PM.

I thought 86 was still all supertrapps? My 89 Salt has flappers and mufflers. The flange is one piece with a short stub section the same o.d. as the exhaust pipe on the outside for the flapper to attach to (via hose clamp) and a longer stub on the inside of the hull. My muffler slips over the longer stub piece and fastens with hose clamps. You probably don't have mufflers on an 86 (?), so maybe a section of exhaust hose connects the s/s pipe and flange. You'd need access to that joint on the inside to replace the plastic piece.

I think 86 had solid floors all the way to the transom (my floor stopped in front of the gas tank), so you'll have to go digging. You might be able to break the pipes loose & slide forward enough, but the floatation foam in mine was poured around the pipes and locked in solid.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Maybe Daff can bring some insight to what it HAD on it... he's the one who burnt them off.
    I'll see if someone can take a picture of it so you can see what I'm dealing with. I'm new to the inboard lingo.
    I think this is what I have.
    http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=100698

Are they easy to replace?
    Last edited by wiatowski; 03-05-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sybrmike View Post
    I think 86 had solid floors all the way to the transom (my floor stopped in front of the gas tank), so you'll have to go digging. You might be able to break the pipes loose & slide forward enough, but the floatation foam in mine was poured around the pipes and locked in solid.
    Yep, the floor in the 86 should go all the way to the transom. My pipes were also buried in foam and hence the pipes aren't going anywhere. If the repair requires moving the pipes, you're going to need to fig out the foam from the transom back to the where the pipes come into the engine bay.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

No need to tear the whole thing appart. You just need the flappers on the rear of the exhaust. Here are some 4" ones. Not sure of the exact diameter of the old ones.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JMS32-05019

I don't think the seal on the transom to flange was hurt , just the flappers were lost.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Someone correct me if I am wrong but, for small block engines you need a 3" exhaust flapper, the 4" is for the big blocks.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Bought some 3" flappers for it... just noticed though last night that the plastic on the inside was melted... will get some pics posted when I have a chance. I be bring the boat home within the next couple of weeks.

if anyone is looking for flappers a PAIR of flappers for $30 includes shipping;

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MARINE-BOAT-E...-/290608238773

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but, for small block engines you need a 3" exhaust flapper, the 4" is for the big blocks.
    3" for small block
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com