Default Winter Wakeboard workout?

While the Pirata is getting in better shape for next year, I would like to get in better shape by spring also. By the end of the season I was able to kneeboard and ski for pretty much as long a set as I wanted. But I am a big guy, about 260 and was never able to get up on the wakeboard. My younger counter parts got it figured out after some practice, but I just couldn't get up on the darn thing. So I am working out over the winter to try to have more strength and be in better cardio for next year. Any suggestions on excercises that might help me in this area? I have a pretty good gym in the basement. Including weights, machines and a nice treadmill. Even bought the insanity videos.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

I do Insanity over the winter, it is an excellent cardio workout. It is hard on the knees at times but if you stick with it, it will help you a lot.

Anything that will get your heart rate up and keep it up for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. Also, remember that what you eat is 80% of losing weight. You will need to make sure that you are 500 calories below what a man your age should have. As an adult male you should be consuming about 2000 calories a day, so if you are going to lose weight than you need to take in 1500 calories. However, if you are going to build muscle than you will need to swap that 500 calories with a good source fo 500 calories, like lean meats or veggies.
    I play wheelchair basketball in the off season whihc gives me great cardio and I also spend an hour in the gym almost everyday except for the weekends. Anything HIGH INTENSITY will burn fat!
    "Where There's a Will, there's a way!"

Check out my 1987 rebuild thread here
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...-Resto-begins.

Another thing that will help during the off-season is using an Indo-board (if you dare). My boys use one and it made such a difference in their balance. But be careful . . . you could break your neck!
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Indo board == broken neck, THAT IS FOR SURE, but I think I agree, if you can master this DEMON board, it will help!
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

As a health and P.E. teacher I have a little experience in this area.

I have included a link for you to look at where you might be able to find some useful information.

I have done P90x, Insanity, Asylum, and many other strength and conditioning routines. My advice is to start out slow and simple and build yourself up. The last thing you want to do is pop in an Insanity DVD, kill yourself, and then never want to do it again because you are sore, discouraged, etc. I don't know your current fitness level or your body type, so it is hard for me to make any workout suggestions. 260lbs on a 6'6" man looks much differently than if you are 5'8".

Set some goals, too. Make an overall goal (e.g. lose 20lbs) and then make smaller ones (e.g. lose 2lbs/week).

I hope this makes sense and I wish you luck!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    Indo board == broken neck, THAT IS FOR SURE, but I think I agree, if you can master this DEMON board, it will help!
    It's amazing what my kids learned to do on the Indo board! I tried it once . . . . . 😁
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    It's amazing what my kids learned to do on the Indo board! I tried it once . . . . . 😁
    And lived to talk about it huh?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Great Website to drop weight is Caloriecount.com... I lost 30 lbs last winter and my dad lost 60 lbs. No gimmicks.... simple math... Calories in vs Calories out... Fill it out and stay accountable. You enter in your height, weight, and how active you are and it will spit out how many calories you burn during a normal day. Then you can enter your goal weight and date you want to reach and it will tell you how many calories you can have. Then you just log your food and it tells you how bad or good you are!

There are other programs like that too, but this is the one I had success with.
    86 Saltare

Over the winter I normally do P90x and try to keep an eye on my diet. The diet really does make or break any work out regiment. A good site to keep track of your food is sparkpeople.com they even have an iPhone app.

David
    '11 Supra Launch 22V

"What time is it anyway? It boat time."