Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Okay, so attempt number two. https://plus.google.com/u/0/10617213...ts/91JdvTnCkV6
    I have decided with the help of many of you on here, as well as the one who has the final say, the boss, to go with a traditionally oriented tower. I found a local fabricator who has built a couple other towers for people and can give me a pretty good deal he says. So I have taken my design a little more seriously this time and imported it into my drafting software which allows me to make proper angles, and radii, and such. Also makes it easier for the fabricator to take his dimensions, which is why they are displayed. I have tried to incorporate some concepts from the ND Supra, and Nautique's towers. I keep coming back to matching up the angles with the windshield, and obviously only showing one side of this thing makes it tough to get a feel for how it will look in real life. Once I get closer, I am going to make a mock-up tower out of re-bar to see if it's going to work before I pull the trigger on the real deal. Anyhow, let me know what you think, hopefully I can gain a little more support this time since I'm not trying to do anything quite so dramatic as a forward facing tower. I'm still looking for ideas on how to improve it though, so if you have any advice or suggestions - Much Appreciated!

Personally, I like this better. Much better. My only suggestion is the make the top bar shorter. The "legs" are too far apart at the top.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

definitely looks better. you might slide the whole thing forward on the boat a few inches too keeping in mind your windshield needs to open and close.

also, your rear towers legs are pretty much right in the sweet spot for getting in and out of the boat on the trailer and at the dock. i'd shorten that span as well as the one titan mentions. with the way it's currently drawn, it dwarfs the boat imo. how high is the rope spool from the engine cover?...will you be able to reach it?

Also, you have to remember that the Tow point needs to be right behind the drivers seat. Basically mimic the spot that the pylon tow point is. This is not terribly important but it is recommended by every manufacturer.
    "Where There's a Will, there's a way!"

Check out my 1987 rebuild thread here
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...-Resto-begins.

same as everyone else. too tall and too wide. otherwise it looks good. The more compact you make it the sturdier it will be

Sweet!!! A tuna tower. You should be able to spot lots of fish from up there..................

Much better design, as others have mentioned, bring the back leg forward a lot. And move the whole thing a few inches forward to clear your side window openings.

I personally think you should move the back legs further back, and then put more of a pronounced curve in the rear legs. I like how you've mimicked the shape of the windshield with those supports on the tower legs - the point where the front leg meets the top of that little "hoop" might be a good place to put a joint hinge, if you're planning on it folding forward.

Also, draw your next concept with thicker black lines, it will look more realistic and give you a better idea of what it will actually look like.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10617213...ts/1AHgpkCPKxG
    Everyone has been a huge help! Thanks for the helpful advice. I think I'm getting pretty close to a concept to send to my fabricator. This is the latest sketch, let me know if I should change anything else. I was concerned with how different of a tow point from the original ski pole it would be, and from my measurements it will be just about 1 foot behind the original, which I think I can live with. The height of the tower itself is 5'3". That puts the tower 7'6" from the floor of the boat to the first head knocker of the tower. I'm thinking this will be a good height to allow for speakers/lights, whatever else I feel the need for without creating a headache bar. I am planning on making it out of 2.25" or 2.5" aluminum. I plan on coming straight up from the boat on the sides so the windshield opening should be a non-issue. Once I get the basic side form down, I will start drafting up from the back angle but I want to get this right, so once again if you have any valuable advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Whatever is surrounding the windshield frame contour, ditch it. You don't need that there and most likely will be in the way versus helpful. Looks like a good design other than that. What is plan for finished look? Brushed/bare aluminum or powder coat?

that looks like one of the best towers i have seen i like it is not so far back that is one thing i dont like because the windshield is so short and i like the tower shorter