Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manifold plugs

Default Manifold plugs

I cant get 1/2 inch drive on manifold plugs. Because my mufflers are in the way. Doesnt look like they were ever removed. If I take the risers off the manifold. I can move the mufflers enough to get to them. Is there a gasket between the manifold and riser I will need to replace? Or should I just suck up antifreeze through the whole system and be done with it?

I was able to get the using a hinged socket accessory to let the 1/2" drive get seated and turn without slipping. It was still tough. Anyone have a better permanant solution ie petcocks?
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Why not just pull the hose clamp and hose off? That is how I drain mine.

I tried. You would have to remove the risers to get the hoses or the mufflers out. And I guess you shouldnt reuse riser gaskets. Should probably order new riser gaskets. And plugs I can get an open end wrench on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Older boats the hoses can be realllly stuck on there and would probably have to be cut off with knife and replaced.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

I found that a set of channel locks on a stuck hose work great to free it from the barbed fitting...That and Popeye's spinach!
    My plugs are almost unreach able as well, I managed to walk the 1/2"socket up in there and remove them, maybe a little penetrating oil wouldn't hurt???? I can't see removing the risers as a regular winterizing procedure....
    90 Conbrio

Quote Originally Posted by 87SunSportMikeyD View Post
    I was able to get the using a hinged socket accessory to let the 1/2" drive get seated and turn without slipping. It was still tough. Anyone have a better permanant solution ie petcocks?
    petcocks get clogged up unless you clear them frequently. and when you do, you dump rusty crap into the bilge. i have a set from skidim, not worth the $ imo. not a knock on the product, there's just crap in the water.

i've read of other manifold type products that splice into each spot and you can drain the whole engine from one manifold. can't remember the name at all, it wasn't cheap.

one thing i've kind of wondered....most people change their impellers annually. 15 seconds without water will only shorten the impellers already doomed life, won't hurt anything else...will it drain the block?...or does water stop circulating when prime is lost?

I was able to get a slim Johnson bar in enough to crack the seal and then vise grips on the knurled part of the plug to get it the rest of the way out. When I put them back in I just snugged them. It’s not a problem since I replaced those crappy Ultra-Marine fiberglass mufflers with the stainless ones from Rex Marine; now there is lots of room. Those hoses won't release without a fight. Someone at sometime had used glue or sealant to the old fiberglass mufflers to try and stop them from leaking. I had to cut them off. I have 1/4" NPT brass butterfly valves for draining air compressors in the block and on the water pump elbow. They are a couple of bucks each and work great. I thought about the drain cocks for the manifolds but they really should have the rust and gunk flushed out once a year anyway. I can't imagine those drain cocks not getting plugged.
    Ps. if you are going to try the butterfly valves, you will need an extension nipple on the starboard side to let the valve clear the motor mount.
    John
    96 Comp GT40

Thanks Ontarion. I have been spraying the pb blaster on the manifold plugs the last 3 days. And will try the vise grips or small pie wrench. Going to pick up a few extra plugs just in case. I will be looking into getting some of those sexy rexy stainless mufflers over the winter. Well upper 60`s today in northern Il. Might have to get 1 more run in before I put her to sleep for the winter.

Funny you guys are all talking about this. I had the same problem with my manifold plugs yesterday. I finally had to remove the riser to get one of them off. Then I went to skidim.com and ordered new riser gaskets. Two of them with shipping cost just over $20. I would like to use a different plug in it's place that is easier to remove - skidim has a set of plugs with drain valve that I was looking at but didn't order. After reading about someone's experience with them on here I don't know if they are worth the money. I can see them getting plugged with crap.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com