Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine overheating at idle

Hello everyone,

The engine on my 88 Mariah has been overheating when at idle/crawl.
    I put in a brand new thermostat that didn't solve the problem, still overheating. It's strange because when I'm cruising at a good pace, the engine cools down rather quickly which makes me think that my water pump or impeller is shot. Thoughts? Also -- can anyone suggest a good place online for replacement parts? I've got a Ford 351 engine.

Okay -- did a search and found another thread with the exact same issue. It looks like a bad impeller.

http://www.skidim.com/ will have everything you will need. Do you have a filter at the raw water pick-up? Could it be clogged? Have you changed the impellar latley?
    1988 Mariah

Quote Originally Posted by 88MariahATX View Post
    http://www.skidim.com/ will have everything you will need. Do you have a filter at the raw water pick-up? Could it be clogged? Have you changed the impellar latley?
    I'm not sure if there is a filter at the raw water pick-up. I don't think it should be clogged, the lake that the boat is in has no weeds. I've never changed the impeller, it's the original.

its time for an impeller.......life's nice cruising at idle.....
    90 Conbrio

I at least check the impeller every spring and always keep a spare one in the garage. Easy/cheap way to avoid missing out on a weekend.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I just ordered a replacement impeller for my 1987 TS6M from Skidim. I plan to replace the thermostat too.

My engine never registered high temps on the gauge, but I noticed the under cowl temps seemed unusually high when I lifted the cover. Then I had difficulty starting the engine, and had to use wide open throttle to do so. My suspicion is that the impellor may have come apart and sent pieces downstream to clog the exhaust cooling passageways. My theory is that the high exhaust temp was causing vapor lock in the carb.

This happened on the last run of the season, and I promptly put the boat away without investigating. So I haven't torn the pump apart yet, but will soon. I may need to pull the exhaust apart too, to inspect for debri.

Anybody else run across this problem?
    Last edited by rludtke; 06-07-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

I haven't run into the high temps, but if you are going to pull the exhaust manifolds, let me give you a word of advice: use penetrating oil on the mounting bolts for the manifolds and risers. Liberal amounts. Let it sit and soak for a couple days. Apply more oil and let it soak some more. When I pulled mine, I broke 4 bolts from the manifolds to the risers, 1 from the head to the manifold on one side and stripped the heads of 3 bolts from the head to the manifold on the other side. An afternoon of work turned into a month of not being able to run the boat. What a pain in the hindquarters. I replaced the manifold to riser bolts with stainless but cannot find allen head in stainless in the right size to go into the heads. If anyone knows where I can get them, please let me know. And use more penetrating oil...

Holy crap!!!! Thanks for letting me know!!
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Quote Originally Posted by purple boat View Post
    I haven't run into the high temps, but if you are going to pull the exhaust manifolds, let me give you a word of advice: use penetrating oil on the mounting bolts for the manifolds and risers. Liberal amounts. Let it sit and soak for a couple days. Apply more oil and let it soak some more. When I pulled mine, I broke 4 bolts from the manifolds to the risers, 1 from the head to the manifold on one side and stripped the heads of 3 bolts from the head to the manifold on the other side. An afternoon of work turned into a month of not being able to run the boat. What a pain in the hindquarters. I replaced the manifold to riser bolts with stainless but cannot find allen head in stainless in the right size to go into the heads. If anyone knows where I can get them, please let me know. And use more penetrating oil...
    I wouldn't use stainless bolts if I were you.... stainless gets even more brittle when heat cycled and isn't rated for the correct torque specs. It sounds like the person that installed these manifolds didn't use the correct anti-seize when installing them -- that would have avoided all of your issues. I've had my risers on and off a few times (or more!) and have never had any issues. I stripped one head bolt when reinstalling but otherwise.... knock on wood!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.