Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Garage Door Size?

I have bought a lot and am beginning to work on the architectural plans of the house. I have a 2008 24 Gravit Games Edition boat which has the tower. I wiill implement a tandem garage that is 32' deep but want to make sure I have a tall enough garage door so that I do not have to take the tower down. Has anybody out there know how tall the door should be? I am thinking 14' tall would be more than enough. If you have any pictures of your garage with this scenario please post. My girlfrined thinks I am craziy to be designing a house arond the boat but I am tired of paying for a storage unit.

My 2005 22 SSV GG sits just over 10' when on level ground. Therefore, when I pull it around I never go anywhere with less than 11' clearance. Given I have a standard height garage, I really have to lower the front end just to get in with a colapsed tower. So keep in mind that depending on the slope leading up to the garage, you might need more or less clearance. Also keep in mind what standard overhead door heights are so you can minimize cost. I would think 14' is great, but you could probably get away with a 12' door. Our course, I would get the ladder and tape out just to make sure even if all us said a certain height works. It would figure that I had the one boat that SC made with a one off tower that was 6 inches higher than anyone elses, lol.
    Last edited by Sluggo; 12-21-2010 at 02:57 PM.
    2005 22 SSV GG

Tamu - I don't think you are nuts at all. I have the same boat, and wonder the same
    thing, as I will be building a garage in the next year or so.

I have the Airsling on top - which adds even more height ---

Don't forget we have a taller-than-the-average-Supra-trailer with our Gravity Games
    boats ... I think it's at least 6" higher with those damn "bling wheels".

Let me know what you find out. (I was also thinking 14 feet BETTER be tall enough!
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

I will measure it over the holiday. Sluggo brought up a good point about any grade (slope) to make sure it is factured in. I will measure the storage unit door I currently have I know the door is 10' wide but I think the door is 14' tall it may be 16'. The 10' wide door leaves me about 4" on each side due to the guide poles on the trailer. I will let you know what I find out.

A 12' door will be fine unless you get into RVs or cruisers then go with the 14' it should accommodate all.

12' o r14' would certainly be overkill, but overkill is not a bad thing. Depending on the architecture and how it all looks you could get away with 11' for sure and have about 6" to spare probably, but it is always good to go higher so you can do other toys down the road. Motorhome, Trailer, etc. That is if it looks good with the design of the new house.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraTamu View Post
    I have bought a lot and am beginning to work on the architectural plans of the house. I have a 2008 24 Gravit Games Edition boat which has the tower. I wiill implement a tandem garage that is 32' deep but want to make sure I have a tall enough garage door so that I do not have to take the tower down. Has anybody out there know how tall the door should be? I am thinking 14' tall would be more than enough. If you have any pictures of your garage with this scenario please post. My girlfrined thinks I am craziy to be designing a house arond the boat but I am tired of paying for a storage unit.
    Smart move, 14' might even clear an RV if you ever wanted to put one in the garage at some point in your life. Having your boat stored indoors at your own house is the only way to fly. Unfortunately I have to drop the tower down every time I put the boat in the garage.

The only better thing than having a 14' garage door with a 32' deep garage would be to make it a drive thru so you dont even have to back it up!
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

... and make it 65 feet long, so you don't even have to unhook! ;o)
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

I would say lean more towards the 14' height if you can make it look right on the house. Also, I would second the idea of making it a pull through and/ or making it long enough you wouldn't even have to unhook if you didn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    ... and make it 65 feet long, so you don't even have to unhook! ;o)
    Now your talkin! If your going to do it, mind as well go big. Once its in, there is no going back.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV