Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Picture attached.

Note: the ground (goes to the starter) goes on the terminal on the right...I started to disconnect it but then decided to take a picture to remember where everything went
    Attached Images Attached Images

I replaced my starter this season and am having issues with it not engaging. There were no shims when I removed the old one. Any tips for getting it to engage everytime? It does it about about 1 out of 4 starts.
    Thanks

I have the same thing happing to me. replace everything ! Still sometime will start and other times gets stuck on and can stop it by tapping solenoid. can anyone help ?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothfootn View Post
    I replaced my starter this season and am having issues with it not engaging. There were no shims when I removed the old one. Any tips for getting it to engage everytime? It does it about about 1 out of 4 starts.
    Thanks
    Does the bendix drive succsesfully extend the starter gear out when the starter turns? You can watch the gear extend retract if you remove the starter and run it on the shop floor. If it does not, try lubricating the shaft with a dry graphite lubricant. Worse comes to worse the bendix drive can be replaced.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

88 Mariah with the same problem. Chased it down to the battery and block ground wire. I had cleaned them after reading that a bad ground could make this happen but didn't help. Then in messing with them I realized that the conection between the actual wire and the end clamp was bad. The end piece just twisted right off. Cleaned them up, pinched them back on real solid, taped them up and never a problem since.