Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rudder Repair

So we ended up getting the rudder back, looks like he was able to get it just about factory, a wet test will tell for sure. When installing the rudder would you recommend putting grease on the rudder shaft before installing, my boat came with a rudder set up for packing material. My thought is that the grease will help keep things smooth. Any thoughts? We also go the interior back and if all goes as planned will be installing the rear seat and sundeck this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MESupra View Post
    So we ended up getting the rudder back, looks like he was able to get it just about factory, a wet test will tell for sure. When installing the rudder would you recommend putting grease on the rudder shaft before installing, my boat came with a rudder set up for packing material. My thought is that the grease will help keep things smooth. Any thoughts? We also go the interior back and if all goes as planned will be installing the rear seat and sundeck this weekend.
    Grease very seldom hurts anything that is intended to move. I'd grease it for sure.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I ended up greasing the heck out of the rudder before installation. After installing i can now barley move the rudder in any direction, let hope it don't pull either way. Hopefully water testing this weekend.

My rudder was bent from the previous owner of my boat; I drove it like that for 4 years, hard steering at speed, easy at idle. Little play in the rudder when out of the water but that does not always correlate with ease of steering. I fiddled with a handful of other inboards that I know steer easily and they all had some play. Replaced the cable once but really no difference.

I got a complete assembly from SKIDIM and with the 10% CCFAN discount code it was $376 shipped. As others have said, I can now steer with one finger at any speed. What a PITA though to reach the assembly from inside the boat. As far as I could tell, the gas tank was put in before the cap, it is literally impossible to remove (89 Bravura). But, the steering now is as good as any new boat I've driven, including 2012 Nautiques and Mastercrafts. For $376 it was WAY worth it.
    1989 Bravura - repowered with 2001 PCM 351 GT-40 - 1.23:1 PCM Trans.
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

The wife and I found a couple hours today to enjoy the boat. The rudder turned out better than expected it turns very freely in both directions. I had intentions of getting another year out of it then buying a new assembly however as long as I can keep from bending it again I don't see the need to replace it. The goretex packing rope from ski-dim worked out excellent as well. Now to trouble shoot the dysfunctional temp gauge, anyone have an idea which sensor is for the dash temp.?

On the top of the intake manifold, near the distributor on the Ford motors. Starboard side, and should have a little threaded bit on top with a ring terminal attaching the wire to it. Probably has a rubber cap over the wire connection...
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

Riveredge,

Thanks for the location ended up pulling the wire and cleaning the terminal. The guage does move it just seems to run warm around 140. I am not convinced this is accurate as I remember the needle point perfectly vertical at 160. I hope to get out boarding tomorrow and put some stress on the engine to figure things out for sure. I might just replace the sending unit for good measure.

And grab a laser / infrared thermometer (like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-96451.html) at some point, they're worth their weight in gold in diagnosing something like this.
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

hagman,
    my 95 labrisa lost surprise fight with rock and i had to put on all new undergear on her.....new rudder assembly from skidim steers much easier than original, but pulls pretty hard to the right. can you explain the 'filing the back edge' process to minimize this?
    thanks,
    james

Go for the attempted repair. I had a 3" crack in my rudder from the shaft entry point downwards. Our dealership quoted us nearly $1,000 to replace it. A $25 bottle of rum for a welder friend of mine fixed the problem. Has run great ever since. Good luck!